[SOLVED] CPU for home server

Christian8886

Reputable
Oct 23, 2015
Hi all, first I'd like to say thanks for taking the time to read this and add your input!

I'm looking into building a home server for the following purposes and I'm unsure of how much CPU power I will actually need.

Server purposes:
Email server
Music and movie streamer
Backup photos/pc/phone/etc.
Firewall

And lastly,
Host small game servers such as minecraft, csgo, or other games hosting no more than 6 people.

Thank you for your help!

Solution
For the first three items an i3 would be more than sufficient. The fourth item should not be co-mingled with any of the others. The game server would depend on the specific requirement of the game.

Christian8886

Reputable
Oct 23, 2015
Kanewolf you're right about the fourth item not being dependent on the CPU like the other items, just wanted to give a general idea of the purpose of the entire server.

As for what games it would host let's say minecraft is the low end of the spectrum and then something like one of the recent Call of Duty's or something around the same requirements would be the high end of the spectrum.

Also I am open to AMD or Intel!

kanewolf

Titan
My point about the firewall is that it should not be the same physical host as any other function. It should be dedicated hardware, so that if it is attacked and potentially compromised, the other functions are not also compromised. Whatever firewall software you choose will have a recommended minimum configuration. An appliance hardware something like this -- https://www.amazon.com/Firewall-micro-appliance-Gigabit-Intel/dp/B01AJEJG1A

Christian8886

Reputable
Oct 23, 2015

Ah yes I see your point. I just miscounted going down my list. I see your point and will look more into that. Back to the main question, what would be the recommended CPU for my needs? I was thinking of the AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G.