Question CPU for htpc ?

toyopl

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Building new htpc to use with 4k streaming, Netflix, Amazon....etc.
Also interested in VR, might invest in one next year.
I have separate gaming PC, won't be doing any hard core gaming on htpc.

Want to stick with Intel, for nostalgic reasons :)

Should I be looking at i5 with Intel 630 graphics, or Intel i5 (F) cpu and gpu ?

Confusing which Intel gen to go with, 8th, and 9th gen both have Intel® UHD Graphics 630.

InvalidError

Titan
Even an i3 would be more than enough for an HTPC, so there isn't much to worry about there.

Not sure what nostalgia has to do with sticking to Intel. At any rate, unless you have an urgent need for an HTPC or want to build out of Black Friday deals, I'd wait to see what the Comet Lake lineup brings along next year... or consider B550/Ryzen 3400G once B550 boards launch.

toyopl

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Even an i3 would be more than enough for an HTPC, so there isn't much to worry about there.

Not sure what nostalgia has to do with sticking to Intel. At any rate, unless you have an urgent need for an HTPC or want to build out of Black Friday deals, I'd wait to see what the Comet Lake lineup brings along next year... or consider B550/Ryzen 3400G once B550 boards launch.

Thanks, I think it's due to always having Intel/Nvidia, and never having problems.
Maybe 8 years ago I did one system with AMD, and I remember hating updating gpu drivers.

Looked at AMD for curiosity, but I'm totally lost on cpu choices :)

toyopl

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009

Well, a Ryzen 5 2400g would be a little behind a 9400 on CPU performance, but the Ryzen CPU would have a much, much better igpu.

A lot has changed in 9 years with amd.

Ok, so I did some reading on AMD, and none of their APU's support Netflix 4K.
So looks like AMD apu's are good for general tasks, but are not good for htpc with 4k monitor/tv.

toyopl

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
That doesn't make any sense tbh.

These APUs do support a 4k output and would have more horsepower to run a 4k display than intel uhd

Tell me about it, price is pretty good compared to Intel.
I'm wondering it it's licensing issue.
Stuff is pretty confusing, but I'm wondering if you can just watch Netflix on TV's app to get 4K HDR10, and use your own private library to watch 4k from windows.
Than everything is peachy :)