CPU Frequency Changes while playing games,Cause frame drops.

ilayg6

Honorable
Jul 30, 2016
So as the title says I am currently experiencing something weird with my CPU-i7 7700K 4.5Ghz
while playing video games for example:The Evil within,Batman Arkham Origins I experience those cpu fluctuation and the cpu will just drop of speed for a second which will cause the frame drop and then turn back to 4.5Ghz and I don't know what to do about it,any answer will be helpful.

My System specs:
i7 7700K Cooled by-Noctua NH-U12S
GTX 1070 G1 GAMING
Corsair vengance 16GB DDR4 3200MHZ
MSI Z270 GAMING M3
PSU:CORSAIR CS650M 650W 80+GOLD MODULAR
1TB WESTERN DIGITAL CAVIAR BLUE x2

Solution
Boost does not work like that. It will boost to 4.5 in lightly threaded workloads. So it does not run at 4.5 all the time with boost. It will only run at 4.5 during certain workloads. If you move the clock to 4.5 it will run at 4.5 under all workloads.

But under balanced power mode it will fluctuate from .0 to 4.2 despite the over clock. The over clock will just allow th chip to run at 4.5ghz instead of boosting to 4.5ghz.

The power saving feature is for low power devices such as a laptop. You have a gaming machine, and games require a lot of PC power. You need to change the power setting to get the most power out of your machine.

Also, the other commenter is probably right, probably more like $1 a year instead of a month.

ilayg6

Honorable
Jul 30, 2016

Yes it sets to balance but must i change it to high performance for the cpu to stick to its boost on games? I actually dont want the pc to work all the time though

ilayg6

Honorable
Jul 30, 2016

Yes it sets to balance but must i change it to high performance for the cpu to stick to its boost on games? I actually dont want the pc to work all the time though

Then I would overclock it to your boost if you want it to boost all the time while gaming. The base clock is 4.2 and the boost clock is 4.5. You should be able to overclock it to 4.5 without adding any voltage. So I would set it to 4.5 and that will now act as the base. But it will still change when Windows does not think you need as much power to the CPU. You could try using game mode (windows+g) for the game and it will change some of the power around for the CPU. But I have not seen any improvements in my system from game mode. But then again, I run in performance mode.

The only problem with performance mode is it will use more power, and your electric bill will be higher. But we are talking about less $1 per month. Running in performance mode will have nothing to do with the life of the chip.

ilayg6

Honorable
Jul 30, 2016

my cpu has already a boost set into it,the cpu comes 4.5Ghz stock and no need to overclock and the thing is that I don't care if the cpu not working full speed on idle or when I'm not gaming I just want the frequency to be stable 4.5Ghz while gaming,windows 10 game mode is built more for budget systems..i already tested it out. and I don't mean to be rude in any way but is High Perfomance Option is the only solution for this?

Boost does not work like that. It will boost to 4.5 in lightly threaded workloads. So it does not run at 4.5 all the time with boost. It will only run at 4.5 during certain workloads. If you move the clock to 4.5 it will run at 4.5 under all workloads.

But under balanced power mode it will fluctuate from .0 to 4.2 despite the over clock. The over clock will just allow th chip to run at 4.5ghz instead of boosting to 4.5ghz.

The power saving feature is for low power devices such as a laptop. You have a gaming machine, and games require a lot of PC power. You need to change the power setting to get the most power out of your machine.

Also, the other commenter is probably right, probably more like $1 a year instead of a month.

Solution

Dude, your not being rude at all and I may have just confused you even more. Sorry about that. I have the exact same CPU as you do, so I am very familiar with it.

The only way to have your CPU run at maximum frequency all the time is through High Performance Option. But, even if you select the high performance option, it will not run at 4.5 all of the time. It will only boost to 4.5 some of the time. It will run at 4.2, and during lightly threaded workloads it will boost to 4.5. If you want it to run at 4.5 all of the time, then you will have to overclock the multiplier to 45 and you will have to set it in High Performance Option. If you do this, it will never move from 4.5.

I understand if you don't want to overclock your chip. But overclocking is the only way to get your chip to run at 4.5ghz all the time.