Question CPU frequency too high

Mar 4, 2023
I bought my pc about a year ago, it was built from a well known site here in Italy. Motherboard is MAG B560M Mortar Wifi, CPU is Intel i5 11600KF. My problems started last August when all of a sudden my CPU started overheating and the PC was constantly stuttering and shutting down after ten or so minutes. I took it to a technician two times and the situation got worse. All leds in the case started flashing random colors, I couldn't manually change them anymore and the CPU temperature was still high, fixed at 100°C, what he did was basically just change the thermal paste with a better one. Some days later I took the PC to another guy who basically told me to change the CPU fans, which I did and the temperature problem was solved for some months. Recently this problem seemed to appear again, with fans being very noisy and CPU temperature displayed as 99°C. I tried to update the BIOS version for my motherboard and I noticed the actual temperature is pretty normal, ranging from 32 to 35 degrees, just the fans were very noisy, so I put them in Smart Mode and changed the speed curve. This seemed to fix those two problems, but CPU frequency looks fixed to 4600-4900 MHz even when idle, plus none of the case and components leds work properly or get recognized by the PC. I'd like to have some advice on what needs to be done. If other informations are needed just ask and I'll respond asap. Thanks in advance (and sorry for bad english).

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
Please include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. As for your processor, how are you cooling it? BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?

I bought my pc about a year ago, it was built from a well known site here in Italy. Motherboard is MAG B560M Mortar Wifi, CPU is Intel i5 11600KF. My problems started last August when all of a sudden my CPU started overheating and the PC was constantly stuttering and shutting down after ten or so minutes. I took it to a technician two times and the situation got worse. All leds in the case started flashing random colors, I couldn't manually change them anymore and the CPU temperature was still high, fixed at 100°C, what he did was basically just change the thermal paste with a better one. Some days later I took the PC to another guy who basically told me to change the CPU fans, which I did and the temperature problem was solved for some months. Recently this problem seemed to appear again, with fans being very noisy and CPU temperature displayed as 99°C. I tried to update the BIOS version for my motherboard and I noticed the actual temperature is pretty normal, ranging from 32 to 35 degrees, just the fans were very noisy, so I put them in Smart Mode and changed the speed curve. This seemed to fix those two problems, but CPU frequency looks fixed to 4600-4900 MHz even when idle, plus none of the case and components leds work properly or get recognized by the PC. I'd like to have some advice on what needs to be done. If other informations are needed just ask and I'll respond asap. Thanks in advance (and sorry for bad english).
What does your cooling,look like, CPU cooler and case ventilation ?

Mar 4, 2023

When posting a thread of troubleshooting nature, it's customary to include your full system's specs. Please list the specs to your build like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
Please include the age of the PSU apart from it's make and model. As for your processor, how are you cooling it? BIOS version for your motherboard at this moment of time?
CPU: Intel i5 11600KF 3.9Ghz (liquid cooler is Corsair iCUE H100i RGB Pro XT)
Motherboard: MSI MAG B660M Mortar Wifi (current Bios version is 7D17v1B)
Ram: 16 GB
SSD: Kingston SNVS500G
GPU: RTX 3060 Ti
PSU: Corsair CP-9020201-EU (it was another component that I needed to change, so it's in my PC since last August
Chassis: MSI MAG Vampiric 100R
Monitor: AOC 24G2U/BK

CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:
Monitor:
CPU: Intel i5 11600KF 3.9Ghz (cooler is
Ram: 16 GB
SSD: Kingston SNVS500G
GPU: RTX 3060 Ti
PSU: Corsair CP-9020201-EU (it was another component that I needed to change, so it's in my PC since last August)
Chassis: MSI MAG Vampiric 100R
Monitor: AOC 24G2U/BK

Lutfij

Titan
Motherboard is MAG B560M Mortar Wifi,
+
MSI MAG B660M Mortar Wifi
How did your motherboard change over the course of 8hrs?

Are you sure you've got the BISO version or the motherboard's make and model right?
https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/MAG-B660M-MORTAR-WIFI-DDR4/support
7D17v1B does not show up on that list.

Last edited: