CPU fried? AIO toast?

djjassi

Prominent
Jan 19, 2018
I was out of the country for about a month and when I returned, I booted up my computer and noticed immediately that something was not right. It is usually quite snappy but it was slow and games were freezing. I figured it was just updating Windows 10 after being away for a month but when I restarted the computer, I received a cpu temperature error. I let it cool down for a while and then tried booting up again. It worked but again, when restarting, the cpu temperature error came up. I waited until the next day and it booted up. I immediately restarted it and the cpu temperature error came up again. I assumed the problem was my kraken x62. it seemed to be fine but I took it off, re-applied the thermal compound, checked all cables and tried again. Now, the computer powers up but nothing is displayed. The monitor remains blank. I tried with the DisplayPort and hdmi inputs and I get nothing.

I'm assuming there is some safety mechanism that would prevent the cpu from overheating but is there a chance it is fried? here are my computer specs:

CPU: Intel - Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: NZXT - Kraken X62 Rev 2 98.2 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus - STRIX Z270-E GAMING ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill - Trident Z RGB 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 4TB 2.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1080 Ti 11GB STRIX GAMING OC Video Card
Case: NZXT - S340 Elite (White) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Corsair - 750W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit

Thanks

Solution
i'm running win 7 pro, and been experiencing nearly the identical problem, in the computer described in my sig below, so i'll definitely be following this thread. Only difference, I don't get the temperature error msg though

I used that "magic trick" of removing all the ram but the one stick in the A1 slot, and rebooting, letting it idle for a few minutes, then shutting down and re-installing the ram i'd removed. It'll be fine for a week or two, then it'll return.

but mine gets real sluggish, then i might hit the wrong key, or clik on a link on a website (fairly safe websites, like verizon, netflix or amazon) and the screen will go black, or like last night it just goes black on its own - in either scenario it then shows "no signal"...
i'm running win 7 pro, and been experiencing nearly the identical problem, in the computer described in my sig below, so i'll definitely be following this thread. Only difference, I don't get the temperature error msg though

I used that "magic trick" of removing all the ram but the one stick in the A1 slot, and rebooting, letting it idle for a few minutes, then shutting down and re-installing the ram i'd removed. It'll be fine for a week or two, then it'll return.

but mine gets real sluggish, then i might hit the wrong key, or clik on a link on a website (fairly safe websites, like verizon, netflix or amazon) and the screen will go black, or like last night it just goes black on its own - in either scenario it then shows "no signal" on the monitor and i'll have to do a hard reboot. I've run every malware/spyware/trojan scan majorgeeks has listed and haven't found any malicious bugs in the system.

Or sometimes when booting up, monitor stays black, no sound or that windows 3-4 note tune that tells you windows has loaded, and it won't show any display ie stays black so i'll end up doing a hard reboot

In another thread someone explained what removing the ram does, so that might help figure out what's causing it:
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/answers/id-3604859/curious-pulling-ram-stick-cure-issues-bios.html

you might give that "removing all ram" a try and see if it helps.

Solution