Question CPU gets up to 99 degrees when turbo boost is on suddenly after cleaning . But Is there any way that I can get high ghz, along with good temp?

Jul 12, 2024
My PC:

Processor : intel i7-11700
RAM : 16.0 GB
GPU: RTX 4060ti
Motherboard: Gigabyte B560M ds3h
CPU Cooler: NZXT M22 Kraken.

My pc was running fine with turbo on and going up to 4.6-4.9gHz regularly. But when I cleaned it one day and turned it on again, it got hot, really hot, usually it was around 43-45 on idle but that day it got to 65 in idle and whenever I launch any app, even chrome, it gets to 90. Sometimes, It cools down fast when I close apps sometimes it doesn't. This was never an issue. Then I tried so many things, changed fan config. ,Put new thermal paste, but nothing helped, I have then put custom ring clock ratios and upon trial and error, I kind of found a sweet spot it's around 3.5Ghz on Turbo on. It doesn't create any problem, but some applications like adobe lightroom and photoshop really takes a hit, even some games have almost 1/3rd or more fps drop.

But Is there any way that I can use turbo like before and get that 4.6gHz along with a fairly normal temp?
Is there any solution?

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)Don't install the radiator in the roof of the case - vertical installations only, because the pump is embedded in the rad with that model. As fluid is lost over time, users with these types of AIOs end up running the pump dry and prematurely killing it in roof mounts.

2)Try shaking the cooler up. You might dislodge some gunk that got trapped where it wasn't before.

3)Get a new cooler.

Jul 12, 2024
1)Don't install the radiator in the roof of the case - vertical installations only, because the pump is embedded in the rad with that model. As fluid is lost over time, users with these types of AIOs end up running the pump dry and prematurely killing it in roof mounts.

2)Try shaking the cooler up. You might dislodge some gunk that got trapped where it wasn't before.

3)Get a new cooler.
The radiator is mounted vertically on the back as an exhaust, and I have 4 intakes so always gets cool air.
I will try shaking the cooler up thanks for that.
Note: I tried turning it up to 3.6 today and it works fine, which was not the case before. It even idles at 42-43 C. should I try increasing it over time? last time I tried 3.5 and it heated up pretty quick. Any suggestion on that?

Jul 12, 2024
I've got none, because you say it's only happened once before.
Actually It happened throughout a phase and I was scared to turn up the ratio that's why I stayed at 3.3 but now as I pushed it higher it works fine till now. Sorry if I'm being repetitive. I will post here the results.
Is there any way to set a manual clock speed without using turbo? My processor isn't a K series one though.

You could have failed the pump but it is hard to tell unless they completely fail.

The quickest solution is to just buy a air cooler. There are many in the $50 or less range than will outperform almost every 120 aio and even 240aio. There are many reviews that have a broad selection of coolers in this price range.

You really would only use 120 aio in those tiny cases where nothing else fits.

Do you still have the factory cooler. Almost all non K cpu have included coolers. These should keep the cpu cool enough you should be able to leave the cpu burst rates on the defaults. Watch something like hwinfo and see if you are getting thermal throttle. This really is the only thing that matters, as long as the tempature is less you are not overheating the CPU. It really doesn't matter if the temp is say 65,75, or 80 as long as it is below the limit you are good. The cpu will run at its maximum rates.