Question CPU going crazy when setting maximum processor state to 100% (95+ temp)

Feb 24, 2022
Hello ! first of all, sorry for my english, it's not my native language.

So, i have a rayzen 7 3700x. When i set the maximum processor state to 100% or the frequency scaling (using quick cpu) this happen :

1- The cpu speed keep changing ( normally it's stuck at 3.53 hz )
2- The CPU temp go CRAZY a go from a stable 55°C to an unstable 70-85°C and even 95+°C when i am playing games !!

I know that some may say that i can fix that just by setting the frequency scalling/max processor state back to 99% but i have heard that this decrease performance and i also want the why behind this ?

Why the cpu speed/temp keep changing like that and how can i make it stuck like when it's at 99% ?

Look at the difference :

Before :

pV60FAB.png

After :
0jSC5H2.png

Hello ! first of all, sorry for my english, it's not my native language.

So, i have a rayzen 7 3700x. When i set the maximum processor state to 100% or the frequency scaling (using quick cpu) this happen :

1- The cpu speed keep changing ( normally it's stuck at 3.53 hz )
2- The CPU temp go CRAZY a go from a stable 55°C to an unstable 70-85°C and even 95+°C when i am playing games !!

I know that some may say that i can fix that just by setting the frequency scalling/max processor state back to 99% but i have heard that this decrease performance and i also want the why behind this ?

Why the cpu speed/temp keep changing like that and how can i make it stuck like when it's at 99% ?

Look at the difference :

Before :

pV60FAB.png

After :
0jSC5H2.png
Setting Minimum Processor to less than 100% limits it's frequency (and performance with it) to at most CPU's default (no boost) frequency.
CPU frequency per core changes with load which also changes voltage and with it temperatures, that's quite normal.
What's not normal is your high temps which your cooling obviously can't tame enough.
3000 series Ryzen gets best boost up to 70c, over that boost gets smaller and smaller.
2 things to look at beside better cooler.
CPU voltage to keep at minimum, no more than 1.5v and hopefully under 1.35-1.4v
PBO in BIOS.
What is your CPU cooler and case cooing solution ?