[SOLVED] CPU, GPU and SSD temps are a bit high ?

cobbb19

Prominent
Mar 11, 2022
So, my gpu idles at 40-50c and goes up to 80c when gaming on 100% gpu load
my cpu idles at 52-60c and goes up to 71c when gaming
my nvme m.2 ssd which is located just below my gpu idles at 50c and reaches 60c when gaming

the gpu is a gigabyte 1660super
cpu is ryzen 5 3500x

my case is the thermaltake h200 and I decided to put a extra fan below the gpu as intake to (maybe) help with the temps of the gpu?
the fan below the gpu is not supposed to be there but it definitely helped reduce the old maximum 82c temp of the gpu to just a maximum of 80c

when I remove the tempered glass panel and put a big external fan blowing towards the case it's temps drop from 80c to 73c when gaming
also tried removing dust filters from above and below the case hoping it helps but it didn't

Solution
Bottom fan is fine but try disable or both the top exhaust fans. Ideally you want more volume of air entering than exhaust so it creates positive pressure and warm air has no chance to build. If case had three intakes then maybe the balance of air going in vs out might change. So try disable one top first, the fan closest to front and see how you go.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Bottom fan is fine but try disable or both the top exhaust fans. Ideally you want more volume of air entering than exhaust so it creates positive pressure and warm air has no chance to build. If case had three intakes then maybe the balance of air going in vs out might change. So try disable one top first, the fan closest to front and see how you go.

Solution

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Weak airflow, or perhaps the fans are not set up to work with the Thermaltake H200's design; some chassis have quirks or flaws in which the widely recommended fan setup doesn't work as well or is less effective.
May be a combination of the 2.
A number of things:
1)In the future, take the side glass panel off before taking pictures.
The glass reflects light and other things, as well as blurring the images.

2)The main source of the gpu's air intake in this particular chassis is through the rear PCIe slots. Wouldn't the fan below interfere with that?
Remove the slot guards and jerry-rig(zip-ties are your friend) the bottom fan there instead - as an intake, of course.

3)Nothing alarming about the reported cpu thermals at all. That's actually a pretty good result considering the little downdraft cooler tends to fall of under gaming loads. Next.

4)M.2 drives have more than one thermal sensor: the NAND flash and the ASIC controller.
Many apps only report the flash, which prefers to run warm. The controller, on the other hand, is just like other processors, but high temperatures haven't been a problem with them until gen 4 M.2s came out.
Hwinfo can read both: Drive temperature 1 being the flash and drive temperature 2 being the controller.

5)Front fans in this scenario are theoretically useless, possibly harmful, due to the possibility of recirculating heated air. They tend to do that when placed against practically closed off panels; when they can't grab the air in front of them, they'll grab the easier source instead.
Remove them entirely, or replace them with the ones at the top - whichever has the better specs(at least on paper).

6)Consider an experiment for the top fans on this one.
-Top intake, for a kind of sideways U-shaped airflow path. Yes, top intake generally isn't recommended, but sometimes things do not play out as expected.
-Leave the fans as exhaust.
Compare results.