[SOLVED] Cpu + Gpu for budget A520 chipset motherboards

senna27

Prominent
Sep 7, 2020
Hello everyone!

TUF-GAMING-A520M-PLUS

i will purchase this motherboard. i will go with 3600 and 1660ti for now but i wanna make some upgrade after 1 year. ryzen 5000 series and rtx 3000 series.i know A520 series doesnt support pcie 4.0 and i dont need that for now. i will not do overclock except ram mhz(because so simple)When you consider about upgradable for near future. is that good motherboard or i should choose b550 mobos?
i dont want to waste money for unnecessary specs for motherboards. i want to consider only stability and tempature.All a520 motherboards support all ryzen 3000 series and 5000 series in their footnotes.

But noone recommend this chipset WHY?
Also i wanna know which cpu/gpu best for this chipset for performance + stablity. Does this chipset can handle with ryzen 3900x/5600x/5800x? and rtx 3000series gpus?

Last edited:
Solution
The reason no one recommends A520, is not cause it's bad, but because it's not as good a value.
B550 is bang for the buck, because it supports lots of features that used to be only available on high end boards. BUT it costs more than A520, so you might say for budget A520 is better, but that's also wrong.
Because forwards-backwards capability, you can use B450 for better bang for the buck.

Some B450 are the same price or cheaper than similarly placed A520 boards, they are older, and more stable, have more pci-e lanes, and support overclocking.
The reason no one recommends A520, is not cause it's bad, but because it's not as good a value.
B550 is bang for the buck, because it supports lots of features that used to be only available on high end boards. BUT it costs more than A520, so you might say for budget A520 is better, but that's also wrong.
Because forwards-backwards capability, you can use B450 for better bang for the buck.

Some B450 are the same price or cheaper than similarly placed A520 boards, they are older, and more stable, have more pci-e lanes, and support overclocking.

Reactions: senna27
Solution
Hello everyone!

TUF-GAMING-A520M-PLUS

i will purchase this motherboard. i will go with 3600 and 1660ti for now but i wanna make some upgrade after 1 year. ryzen 5000 series and rtx 3000 series.i know A520 series doesnt support pcie 4.0 and i dont need that for now. i will not do overclock except ram mhz(because so simple)When you consider about upgradable for near future. is that good motherboard or i should choose b550 mobos?
i dont want to waste money for unnecessary specs for motherboards. i want to consider only stability and tempature.All a520 motherboards support all ryzen 3000 series and 5000 series in their footnotes.

But noone recommend this chipset WHY?
Also i wanna know which cpu/gpu best for this chipset for performance + stablity. Does this chipset can handle with ryzen 3900x/5600x/5800x? and rtx 3000series gpus?
A520 chipset is a basic chipset, with really basic features like USB ports, m.2..

And most of the time A520 chipset boards are used with Ryzen 3 and Ryzen APUs.. like Ryzen 5 3400G and Ryzen 3 3200G.

A520 chipset boards targets most probably Home users and office user to do some basic works.. although we can utilise even a Ryzen 7 3700x on A320 chipset.. but that CPU gonna run at lesser turbo speed.. due to power limitations by VRMs of board..
Simply A520 chipset can't run power-hungry CPUs..
Yet still we can use these CPUs to just test if CPU is good or not..
We can use A520 with Ryzen 3 and 5 and most of the time.. we will never encounter any issue....
But these boards don't looks to much fancy either.. just a bare black or red PCB..

For you.. you can use Gigabyte A520 board with basic features..

But if you are planning to use Ryzen 5 3600 or better, atleast go for B550 Chipset..

Reactions: senna27