CPU, GPU, power supply, and case fans all running in sleep mode.

no1b4me72

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016
Finally got around to setting up a new desktop. It's a HP Pavilion Power 580-023w, i5-7400, NVIDIA GTX 1060 3GB Graphics, 8 GB Memory, 1TB Hard Drive, Windows 10. I put a Samsung evo 850 SSD in it and did a fresh install of Windows 10. However, whenever I put it in sleep or hybrid sleep mode all the internal fans(CPU, GPU, power supply, and case) stay running. Hibernate seems to work correctly, but the keyboard won't wake it up. It almost seems like putting it to sleep just turns off the monitors and locks the computer. The BIOS are bare bones and I don't see any settings that look like they would affect sleep mode. Anyone have any ideas on what's keeping the fans running in sleep and hybrid sleep? I've never seen this before, it doesn't seem like normal behavior.

ac13044

Honorable
Mar 25, 2016
Sleep is not Off. During sleep, the pc is actually still running, just in a low power mode where non-essential components are shut down or turned down so low as to be looking shutoff. Kinda like when you sleep, subconscious is still working but conscious thought is not, your heart still beats and you still breathe. In order for the mouse/kb to wake the pc, it needs to still be on, if the mouse is off, it'd not know you are moving it. Since the pc is technically still on, the fans might slow down but not stop entirely or the pc would overheat. If the fans have leds, they will still be on, as power is still fed to the fan, the leds are rarely separate, and those that are are switched manually, not by the cpu.

There is only 1 fix to turning everything off, and thats turning the pc off completely. Sleep is a low power mode, not a dead mode.

Hibernation is for laptops. Not desktops. Turn it off and get rid of it entirely. http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/819-hibernate-enab...

no1b4me72

Reputable
Jan 29, 2016

I was under the assumption that in sleep mode only the ram and usb ports were receiving power. I could understand maybe a case fan remaining on, but the cpu, graphics card, power supply, and case fan all being on while in sleep mode doesn't seem right. I've never had a windows machine that kept "any" fans on in sleep mode, much less all 4. There's got to be something else going on.

Arun05

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2013

I was under the assumption that in sleep mode only the ram and usb ports were receiving power. I could understand maybe a case fan remaining on, but the cpu, graphics card, power supply, and case fan all being on while in sleep mode doesn't seem right. I've never had a windows machine that kept "any" fans on in sleep mode, much less all 4. There's got to be something else going on.
I have the same problem I have 5 different desktops everything sleeps without any problem except for my current PC all fans are running(except GPU fan)