Question cpu/gpu upgrade

Jun 4, 2019
With the new Ryzen 3 processors being released around the corner what would be a recommended upgrade from a 4690k and a GTX 970 running @1440p/144hz? I like to future-proof my rig for another 4-5 years. The new AMD processors have me excited because of the price/performance ratio compared to what Intel has been releasing. However, I'm skeptical and waiting for 3rd party benchmarks, testing, overclocking, etc. before I commit to this. If anything I could upgrade my GPU for now and hold on the CPU. I've been running my 4690k stock with a Noctua Dh-15 on a gigabyte z97 mobo w/ 16gb of RAM @1866mhz using an 850W Seagate PSU. Meanwhile, I can to try to OC and see how much more performance I can push out of the cpu while I wait.

I currently use my computer for gaming and doing editing with photoshop/lightroom possibly more Adobe products down the line as well as productivity with Matlab and engineering related tasks for school. I'd like to have a lot of headroom to play with and don't want to be strapped on performance. I'm already limited on FPS with my GPU since I'm running on medium settings for most AAA games to get decent FPS for games @1440p. I'm shooting for very high settings @90+ FPS. I think that's a reasonable goal for most games these days.

For GPU, I was thinking of either a 2060/2070, but I'm hearing about a refresh of these cards that may be unveiled at E3 this year. I don't know how the Navi GPUs will hold up against Nvidia's RTX cards, but I'm leaning towards Nvidia since my monitor is G-sync enabled. Unless there is a software that can have AMD cards running w/g-sync then I'll consider Navi.

For CPU, I was thinking of a 3700x/3800x, but why not a 3900x? Is there any substantial gains using a 3900x compared to a 3700x/3800x for what I'm using my rig for, or is it just overkill?

My budget would be $600-700 for mobo/CPU/ram and roughly $400 for a GPU, but things could change with potential price drops towards the end of the year. I'll be holding out until Nov/Dec and see if there are some good deals near Black Friday for these components.

Last edited:


May 1, 2018
Budget 600/700 for a MOBO?? Just go for a 200 one thats already high end...
very high settings 1440p on AAA games is hard so while i just saved you 400 ish on a mobo you can put that in the gpu for a 2080. The cpu is completely up to you.