CPU HEAT PROBLEM - It Is About To FRY!! Please Read - Please Help

Neo Alison

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014
Hello my dear fellow Tom's

I hope everyone is well and good.

Recently I had to replace most parts of my Asus G53JW Laptop but I have some problems well one problem to be exact and that is random sudden shut downs. (now I think I have pinpointed the source but do not know what exactly to do)

Laptop in question is: ASUS G53JW
i7 740QM
GTX 460M 3G
8G DDR3

[/b]NOTE: No Dust in whole system - Good Thermal Paste have been applied - Fan working fine - Maybe bad heatsink?

I replaced the Motherboard, VGA, LED Panel, Keyboard, added a new SSD (250G Adata + 1 T Samsung/Seagate 2.5 HDD)
After I get everything together I installed Win 7 which worked fine for a little while and I even run some benchmarks which gave some odd results but then suddenly without no reason shut downs began, random shut downs even where there is 0% load.

I changed windows to Windows 10 64bit enterprise edition and it worked fine for 3 days but after that random shut downs started to appear.[strike] I have no idea what is the cause of cuz shut down happens[/strike] even when system is not under load or gaming or anything it is 100% random. Last night I tried to run Far Cry Primal on it but every single time when it reaches the first loading screen after starting a new game boom sudden shut down! This is the first time I can do something to result in a direct sudden shut down.(Other games such as Battlefield 3 Ultra settings, Far Cry 4 and any other games work just fine) But games that use CPU cause CPU heat to go over 100'c and boom shut down. Intel says max = 100'C. 101 = dead
Another odd thing is that the VGA temperature do not drop below 80'C(most of the times) which sometimes is 60'C (normal themp)
Also check these benchmarks on the photos see if everything is okay VGA wise.
What should I do? Where the fault lies?
Please help me on this one.

P.S Sometimes after a sudden shut down I get a bluescreen after boot (INACCESSIBLE BOOT DRIVE or Partition)
P.P.S My original VGA was 460GTX 1.5G but this one I am using is GTX 460M 3G which is odd!
http://gpuz.techpowerup.com/16/05/28/8rz.png
8rz.png

http://prntscr.com/b9foi7
http://prnt.sc/b9fg7o
http://prntscr.com/b9fq6r
http://prntscr.com/b9fqa0

Well so far I can tell the HEAT is the devil behind all this misfortune but what causes the CPU and GPU to go under such a load that makes them so damn hot which results in sudden shut down? here are two screenshots of TjMax and system has no load at all.
2T8AGb.png

and TJMAX

AGb6vq.png

One more odd thing, when I use Asus Pwer4Gear Hybird program and switch from High performance to quiet office everything drops to the level they should be but at High performance everything spikes to max and system shuts down.(With no load)

Please help you old friend out of this stinky situation before I fry my CPU or GPU
Thank you so very much in advance for reading and responding.

With Great Respect
Neo

Solution
Sorry for late response but the actual problem was due to the number of times you have to screw the screw on CPU heatsink, you dont need to screw it tight nor loose, there is a sweet spot where you can get the best resualt. Well at least that is how I fixed my problem, also for your own sake to those who read this a good expensive Thermal Paste is totally worth it never go for 2nd best on that one. Thank you all for your help.
Best regards
Neo
Case closed.

Neo Alison

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014
Yes so hot that you cannot touch them! Even the outer casing which covers the fan it is too hot! well it has 2 fans but GPU one is too hot yet it is 80'C but CPU in not half as hot as GPU, e.g. if by touching that fence thing GPU side I feel 80'C heat touching CPU side fan fence then themp should be 50 or less cuz it is less hot. Still too hot for idle states and I checked that the in game performance is too bad which is the direct result of the heat!
Thoughts?

I had this with an old dual core laptop some years ago- I think it's a sign of the CPU on it's way out. If the heat sink is properly fitted with thermal paste and all the vents cleaned.

The only thing to double check- when removing the heat sink did you disturb the heat spreader on the cpu (the metal plate that covers the actual silicon core)? It's possible that if the heat spreader plate has become detached from the core, the heat sink isn't cooling it.

If that's the case you'll need to remove the heat spreader and apply thermal paste between that and the cpu, as well as between the heat spreader and the heat sink to ensure a good connection. That said 'de liding' the cpu like that isn't recommended, you could potentially damage the cpu, so I'd only try that as a last resort.

Neo Alison

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014

Ok, so I gather when you cleaned your heat sink and fan assembly you removed the heatsink from the cpu?

The top of an Intel CPU has a metal plate on it, this is called a heat spreader- the actual processor is a small black retangle that is underneath the metal plate (at least it is on desktop cpu's).

If you took the heatsink / fan off, there is a chance that the lid got pulled away from the cpu, meaning it isn't getting cooled like it should be. If this has happened, you will need to remove the metal cover and put thermal paste between the lid and the cpu, then put it back together again.

Here's a forum with some more info (this is for an Ivy bridge cpu but same idea):
http://www.overclock.net/t/1313179/official-delidded-club-guide

Neo Alison

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014
No that did not happen. The heatsink is a long pipe shape thingy attached to a radiator on fan's end and the cpu end has a small CPU shaped metal where you apply the paste and nothing got pulled out and the paste is correctly applied but the problem was from even before the pasting process took place cuz I thought it might be a contributing factor which was not. I also checked the integrity of the CPU pins and overall which was 100% okay. There were some small bents on the both ends of the pipes (cpu and gpu) but I hardly think they are the devil behind this heat problem. all in all everything was rock solid before mobo and vga replacements (themp before 45-50 both) now 80~100 both and the system was very quiet and smooth. The thing is the more load I put the CPU under the more it helps reaching 100+ and shut down. CPU MHz is constantly changing even though there is nothing at all running in the background and one of the cores is always at least under 90% load all the time. I know a thing or two about systems but this time I am lost!
I am now using the laptop with Quiet Office mode on which reduces CPU usage to 70% Max and heat is stable and it gets to the max of 80 degree celecious but idle still 70 for cpu and 60 for gpu which is hot hot and dangerous but using laptop in this mode I cannot do anything with it!

Full spec added to the main thread but Asus G53JW is the one I am using.

Neo Alison

Reputable
Dec 16, 2014
Sorry for late response but the actual problem was due to the number of times you have to screw the screw on CPU heatsink, you dont need to screw it tight nor loose, there is a sweet spot where you can get the best resualt. Well at least that is how I fixed my problem, also for your own sake to those who read this a good expensive Thermal Paste is totally worth it never go for 2nd best on that one. Thank you all for your help.
Best regards
Neo
Case closed.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS