[SOLVED] CPU heating up, and load issues ?

Matthew11511

Reputable
Jun 2, 2019
After finding out diablo 4 was causing issues with gigabyte 3080ti cards, I held off on installing the game and trying it with some friends but eventually tried it anyway (I have a EVGA 3080ti FTW3). I limited its power usage to 90% just incase. While the game was installing I played two games of overwatch with friends and I experienced no issues. I launch and play 2 hours of diablo 4, game is stuttering and I just assume there are some optimization issues with the game being in beta and all. The stuttering issues weren't too bad and could be ignored. The moment I closed the game, my PC hard froze for a solid 5 minutes, I could hear my friends in discord talk no problem but they couldn't hear me.

After the freeze ended, my CPU temps have been through the roof (80-96 C) without doing anything and only having discord open. Opening a browser or anything would cause my CPU usage to increase up to 60-100%. Today I have completely cleaned out my computer and reapplied thermal paste to the CPU, thinking maybe that was the problem. At IDLE my temps are now anywhere from 45 - 60 C and when I open any program my CPU temps increase to 60 - 70 C and usage still sky rockets to 60-100% usage and things are slow to load. What should I do?
Thanks in advance, I literally have no clue what could be the issue. Tried looking online.
edit: running stock cooler, but haven't had issues with it.
PC SPECS:
EVGA 3080ti
AMD Ryzen 5 5600x
32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz

Reactions: jnjnilson6
Solution
Besides the low voltage reading ,everything else looks normal.
What I would expect and experienced with my 5600x.
You did not list your exact make and model power supply so that could be your problem.
3000 and 4000 series cards have voltage surge/spikes that some power supplies can not handle.
It is always best to manually install updated drivers yourself.
Download drivers.open folder containing them.
Right click driver exe.
Select "run as administrator"
Otherwise windows can and will at times block part of the install process.
Also run Ryzen Balanced power plan which the motherboard drivers will install.
After finding out diablo 4 was causing issues with gigabyte 3080ti cards, I held off on installing the game and trying it with some friends but eventually tried it anyway (I have a EVGA 3080ti FTW3). I limited its power usage to 90% just incase. While the game was installing I played two games of overwatch with friends and I experienced no issues. I launch and play 2 hours of diablo 4, game is stuttering and I just assume there are some optimization issues with the game being in beta and all. The stuttering issues weren't too bad and could be ignored. The moment I closed the game, my PC hard froze for a solid 5 minutes, I could hear my friends in discord talk no problem but they couldn't hear me. After the freeze ended, my CPU temps have been through the roof (80-96 C) without doing anything and only having discord open. Opening a browser or anything would cause my CPU usage to increase up to 60-100%. Today I have completely cleaned out my computer and reapplied thermal paste to the CPU, thinking maybe that was the problem. At IDLE my temps are now anywhere from 45 - 60 C and when I open any program my CPU temps increase to 60 - 70 C and usage still sky rockets to 60-100% usage and things are slow to load. What should I do?
Thanks in advance, I literally have no clue what could be the issue. Tried looking online.
edit: running stock cooler, but haven't had issues with it.
PC SPECS:
EVGA 3080ti
AMD Ryzen 5 5600x
32 GB DDR4 3200 MHz
Check your windows, you might have a virus oz some other malware.

Mar 16, 2019
Not trying to question the way you do things but how much TP do you apply? More is not better. Too much creates a barrier between CPU and the base which prevents the paste from conducting heat away properly. Did you know that after applying paste when attaching the CPU, once it touches the paste, sliding or moving around some is OK but if you lift up on the CPU and break the initial bond between paste and CPU it's better to clean paste off both surfaces with 90% alcohol and reapply as it (CAN) cause higher temps than normal.

Mar 16, 2019
Just noticed you said "Well, I performed a fresh install of windows 11 (which delete everything other than the OS) ..."

A fresh install will delete everything including the OS (BECAUSE) formatting beforehand will wipe clean the partition. Did you maybe reinstall/refresh over the top of the old system?

Matthew11511

Reputable
Jun 2, 2019
I did a pea sized ball and it didn't look like I was putting too much on. I also cleaned the CPU and heatsink with isopropyl alcohol and dried it with a microfiber towel before reapplying

That is what I meant yes, I did a fresh install wiped everything. Did not restore from a backup or anything. Setup as a branch new PC (from creation tool on USB).

Last edited:

Matthew11511

Reputable
Jun 2, 2019
Local tech stores I call, keep telling me its normal for my CPU to run this hot and have jumps in temperature and usage, but this never happened prior to diablo 4 and my CPU usage would never cap out to the point it was slowing down my pc. Installing games on steam also put usage to 100% and CPU temps go to > 85 C. Will screenshots of CPU-Z help?

You did not list your exact make and model power supply so that could be your problem.
3000 and 4000 series cards have voltage surge/spikes that some power supplies can not handle.
Right click driver exe.

Solution

Matthew11511

Reputable
Jun 2, 2019
Right click driver exe.
Its just strange, because I've never run that power mode before, just high performance. I have a 850w plat rating PSU. Ill try installing the motherboard drivers right now manually

Matthew11511

Reputable
Jun 2, 2019
Okay, I have fixed the problem! I did some research, my old wraith prism cooler from my 2700x looks like its a better choice for stock coolers, I installed the prism for the time being also took out the CPU and re-seated it just incase cleaned it all off completely, new thermal paste in an x pattern this time. Idle temps sitting at 45 C! Much better now! Thanks for everyones help! Appreciate it

Edit: Going to play some games tonight with some friends and monitor temps!