CPU heating up when I play games

Jul 2, 2018
Hi, i know there are already a lot of these questions but none of the answers seem to help me.
Whenever I play a game, 10-20 mins into it my computer shuts down unexpectedly. No warning screen or shut down screen beforehand. I use open hardware to look at the temperatures and I see that when I’m not in any games my cpu is about 12 degrees celcius. But when I play a game it goes up to 60-70. Whenever I am on a game my computer does feel very hot, but once I get off of the game before it shuts down. It starts to cool down a bit. I want to know what is causing this problem, is it my cpu? My graphics card? Bcuz my graphics card isn’t that good and is not the minimum for most of the games I play. And I don’t know much about cpu’s. My graphics card is amd Radeon hd 8470D. Should I get a new cpu, graphics card or do I install a case fan? My computer is windows 10.

Solution
It is most definitely a cpu issue, not the graphics card

First of all, if you don't have a case fan, get one. They help massively with air circulation

secondly, a overheating cpu could be caused by a lot of things. the first thing to check is that the cpu fan is spinning fine.
Then check how much thermal paste has been applied between the heatsink of the cpu cooler and the lid of the cpu.
Here is a picture of the correct amount of thermal paste:
http://www.web-rome-apartments.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/2-1.jpg

also check if all the cables are plugged in properly and sit tight

If it is none of these it could be a fault in the actual cpu itself or the motherboard, which in most cases is unfortunately not repairable.

Feel free to...

ukgamer909

Great
Apr 10, 2018
It is most definitely a cpu issue, not the graphics card

First of all, if you don't have a case fan, get one. They help massively with air circulation

secondly, a overheating cpu could be caused by a lot of things. the first thing to check is that the cpu fan is spinning fine.
Then check how much thermal paste has been applied between the heatsink of the cpu cooler and the lid of the cpu.
Here is a picture of the correct amount of thermal paste:
http://www.web-rome-apartments.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/10/2-1.jpg

also check if all the cables are plugged in properly and sit tight

If it is none of these it could be a fault in the actual cpu itself or the motherboard, which in most cases is unfortunately not repairable.

Feel free to ask any questions!

Solution
You have an A6 APU, right? That graphics you list is what comes with an A6. So the heat is from your APU, which is what AMD called their CPUs with those built in graphics. My first suspicion is that the thermal paste on the APU is old by now and needs to be replaced. This assumes your heatsink/fan are installed and the fan is working.

On Youtube there are many videos showing you the process of removing the heatsink/fan, cleaning off the old thermal paste, reapplying new thermal paste, then reinstalling the heatsink/fan. That's your first task in troubleshooting this.

I use open hardware to look at the temperatures and I see that when I’m not in any games my cpu is about 12 degrees celcius.
12'C is about 54'F. What is your room temp? Since CPU temp can't be lower than room temp (with normal fan cooling), I suspect your reported temps are wrong.

What the helpers above has written is still valid.

Nigel