Question CPU High temps

ouziz

Prominent
Apr 14, 2019
I just installed a 9700k into my pc and i have been having random crashes. Whenever i play games after about 30 minutes my pc crashes and I have to restart. I found out that my core temps were at an average of 93 Celsius while playing games and have an idle temp of 43-50 Celsius. When putting my pc back together did I do something that would make my temps be so high or is it just the CPU itself?

PC Specs:
9700k (default settings)
msi mpg z390 gaming edge ac
corsair h100i v2
cosair vengence 16gb @ 3600MHz
gigabyte 980 ti

ouziz

Prominent
Apr 14, 2019
Have you tried to reapply thermal paste and checked if the cooler is correctly installed?
Where did you mount the radiator?
I just applied the thermal paste and it is spread evenly across the cpu and the cooler is mounted correctly at the top of my case. I changed the way the tubes we twisting and i got better temps where my idle is now 31-40 Celsius but whenever I do the cinebench r20 benchmark the temps still go up to 95 Celsius is this normal?

dstln

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2007
I don't believe 95C under load is normal. First I would clean off the paste and try again. What's your technique in applying it? You generally want to just put a small spot in the middle and let the heatsink compression fit the paste into place across the heatcover.

ouziz

Prominent
Apr 14, 2019
I don't believe 95C under load is normal. First I would clean off the paste and try again. What's your technique in applying it? You generally want to just put a small spot in the middle and let the heatsink compression fit the paste into place across the heatcover.
thats what i did and the paste seems to have covered the cpu entirely. My radiator is pretty dusty would that have this much of an effect on my cpu temps?

ouziz

Prominent
Apr 14, 2019
Yes, it would. The dust is trapping some heat in the radiator.
There's no excuse for not keeping up with cleaning your hardware every so often.
what temps should i be at when doing cinebench r20 just to see if it gets fixed or not. also is there anyway to clean it without an air duster or do i have to buy one?