[SOLVED] CPU high usage and GPU low usage in games

kirzt

Honorable
Jun 19, 2014
So recently i have began to witness a problem where my GPU usage is very low in games about 50-60 % and meanwhile CPU usage is very high going from 80-99%. Tested it in games like Gta V, CS GO, League of legends. I have Gtx 650 TI and i3 4130. I have had this PC for about 5 or 6 years now and i have never had problems with these games to run but recently i have noticed some stutter. So i decided to check temperatures and usage and found it that GPU is not working properly on full usage. Drivers are all up to date, disabled windows game mode, dvr. Few weeks ago I changed CPUs thermal paste because Idle temperatures were a bit high (about 60 degrees Celsius). That is fitted properly and now all the temperatures are normal. Any ideas?

Solution
Times change, and so does code. Run CSGO Office, that's an original map that's not been changed for graphics. Then run Sand II, which is a user map and considerably higher cpu code intensity. Graphically there's not much difference, it's the same stationary items that get rendered, but code-wise there's a whole lot more, so pre-rendered frames from the cpu go down, usage goes up as the cpu has more to deal with. Same goes for any of those games. With lower fps output from the cpu, the gpu has an easier time finish rendering and putting them on screen, usage goes down. The only way you'll see gpu usage go up is by adding more post-processing, which is all gpu.
All those games are CPU-limited and that's exactly what you're seeing in your usage numbers. The GPU is rendering frames faster than the CPU can tell it what frame to render next, so the GPU has to wait.

What resolution and in- game quality settings are you using? You can probably increase quality settings a level and get the same FPS you're currently getting, but GPU usage would be higher.

kirzt

Honorable
Jun 19, 2014
All those games are CPU-limited and that's exactly what you're seeing in your usage numbers. The GPU is rendering frames faster than the CPU can tell it what frame to render next, so the GPU has to wait.

What resolution and in- game quality settings are you using? You can probably increase quality settings a level and get the same FPS you're currently getting, but GPU usage would be higher.
Im using full hd, medium on Gta and pretty much max on other 2. But my point is i have never experienced stutter in these games for 5 years and also GPU usage has been almost at its max before, but now its only half.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Times change, and so does code. Run CSGO Office, that's an original map that's not been changed for graphics. Then run Sand II, which is a user map and considerably higher cpu code intensity. Graphically there's not much difference, it's the same stationary items that get rendered, but code-wise there's a whole lot more, so pre-rendered frames from the cpu go down, usage goes up as the cpu has more to deal with. Same goes for any of those games. With lower fps output from the cpu, the gpu has an easier time finish rendering and putting them on screen, usage goes down. The only way you'll see gpu usage go up is by adding more post-processing, which is all gpu.

Solution