[SOLVED] Cpu hitting 90c even with water cooler thing

Nov 26, 2021
It was a pre-built and not sure what's wrong. I just dusted it out and it didn't seem to help.

It has a water cooler thing hooked up to two fans once I figure out how to post pictures i will

Solution
90c. is not all that bad.
The throttle point is around 100c.

But, overclocking is going to generate more heat that you need to control.

I think your small aio is not going to do the job on two counts:
  1. The radiator is too small to be truly effective.
  2. AIO coolers do not last forever. In time, air intrudes and they need to be replaced.

What is the make/model of your case and what is the fan arrangement?
Any cooler and graphics card needs a good supply of fresh air to do the job.
At a minimum, two 120mm front intakes.
As a test, take the side cover off and direct a fan at the innards.
If this helps much, look first to case cooling or a better case,

On air coolers, noctua makes very good ones.
Here is a chart for which...

MEMOFLEX

Distinguished
As you have noticed high temps and installed a new CPU then it is possible that you have not managed a good contact between the CPU and heatsink.

Did you clean the CPU heatsink and apply new thermal paste? If you have then I suggest remounting the CPU cooler.

What CPU did you install out of interest?

I only see 1 fan? The smaller water coolers can be worse than air coolers or no better than an entry level air cooler. It would help to know which cooler it is. It would also help to know the cpu, it’s possible the cooler is not up to cooling it.

These AIO type coolers are renowned for pumps dying so that’s something else to check. Also as above you may fitted it with bad contact or bad application of thermal paste.

Nov 26, 2021
I only see 1 fan? The smaller water coolers can be worse than air coolers or no better than an entry level air cooler. It would help to know which cooler it is. It would also help to know the cpu, it’s possible the cooler is not up to cooling it.

These AIO type coolers are renowned for pumps dying so that’s something else to check. Also as above you may fitted it with bad contact or bad application of thermal paste.

In the second picture the red fan is attached to another fan right next to it. No clue what pump it is as I bought it prebuilt 3 years ago, the fan behind the red one says NXZT on it though.

The CPU is intel i7 8700k, I've had it for over a year it is only today that I am worrying about temperature and performance since I installed a 3080 TI today and some games aren't performing much better so I wanted to look into OCing my cpu but I can't if it's hitting 90c as it is now.

I'm afraid of what you said might be true so i'm trying to discern if its the pump set up before I reapply thermal paste for no reason, since i'd need to do it again if its the pump that is bad.

In the second picture the red fan is attached to another fan right next to it. No clue what pump it is as I bought it prebuilt 3 years ago, the fan behind the red one says NXZT on it though.

The CPU is intel i7 8700k, I've had it for over a year it is only today that I am worrying about temperature and performance since I installed a 3080 TI today and some games aren't performing much better so I wanted to look into OCing my cpu but I can't if it's hitting 90c as it is now.

I'm afraid of what you said might be true so i'm trying to discern if its the pump set up before I reapply thermal paste for no reason, since i'd need to do it again if its the pump that is bad.
Ah it has a fan either side of the radiator? That would make it most likely a 120mm AIO and these generally perform worse than a mid range air cooler. What cpu did you have before? If the old cpu was lower power it may just be the 8700k is too much for it.

Nov 26, 2021
Ah it has a fan either side of the radiator? That would make it most likely a 120mm AIO and these generally perform worse than a mid range air cooler. What cpu did you have before? If the old cpu was lower power it may just be the 8700k is too much for it.

I really don't remember sadly. What do you recommend to keep the 8700k cool?

2. AIO coolers do not last forever. In time, air intrudes and they need to be replaced.

Here is a chart for which coolers are suitable for a 8700K
https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus/model/Intel-Core-i7-8700K-404

On the list, a NH-D15s is likely to be the best.

Solution
Nov 26, 2021

Here is a chart for which coolers are suitable for a 8700K
https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus/model/Intel-Core-i7-8700K-404

On the list, a NH-D15s is likely to be the best.

I bought Scythe Fuma 2 CPU Air Cooler which looks similar to the ones you suggested

The review and photos help.
Pre-builts are not designed to be upgraded.

The case was designed for looks and not so much for performance,
It is not clear to me what fans you might have as front intakes.
They may be sufficient for stock operation.

Install cpuid Hwmonitor.
It will give you current, minimum, and maximum cpu temperatures.
Your minimum at idle should be in the 30-35c. range if your room is a cool 20c.
Much higher indicates a deteriorating cooler.
If you see a max of 100c. after heavy use, your cpu has throttled.

You can also see the current, minimum, and maxim rpm of all your fans.
I would hope to see at least two front fans running at 1200 rpm or better,