CPU hot af after cleaning parts

reaper211

Prominent
Mar 19, 2018
I was playing fortnite and my PC kept stuttering, constantly dropping frames, and freezing for a second or so, and after a fit of rage i decided to clean everything assuming it was dust. (everything was really dusty). I used a cutip to clean out my gfx card, fans and cpu. The cpu fan just wasnt coming off despite being unscrewed and i had no other option and didnt do research on how to clean them. Now my cpu temps are 55c -70c+ just on startup compared to low 30's before. anyone know why and a fix?

Okay, not the end of the world. The first thing I would do is remove the CPU cooler, clean and re-apply TIM (thermal paste) any paste you have will do but MX4 or something similar is good. Reseat the CPU cooler and make sure the fan is spinning.

It would be good to know what CPU cooler you..

reaper211

Prominent
Mar 19, 2018

I have an amd ryzen 3 1200 with the stock fan

Is the fan and heatsink properly secured again since fan wasn't coming off? In other words, it's like it was before you took apart? If so, it's likely the preapplied compound got smeared around and needs replaced to provide good contact between CPU and heatsink again.