Question CPU i3 to i7. Bios wont update

Feb 8, 2023
Hi I upgraded my CPU to an i7 from an i3 and there is no display. I removed the cpu and put it back in still no display. I then put my i3 back in and tried updating to the modern bios but my pc won't load the prompt to update it. I use a Dell G5 5000 prebuilt and used the dell support page to download the files for it. When I downloaded the file and ran it it gave me the response of allow to make changes. When I clicked run it is supposed to restart but nothing has happened since. I even tried redoing it at least ten times but still no restart or system bios prompt that supposed to show up. Am I doing the right thing in trying to update my bios or is there a different alternative?

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

Instead of generically stating an i3 and an i7, can you please list the models for the Core i processors you have to work with? Use CPU-Z to show you what BIOS version you're currently on for your motherboard, listed under the Mainboard tab. Also, just to ask in advance, what OS are you working with? Have you tried with Right click installer>Run as Administrator ?

Feb 8, 2023
I have an i3 10100 and upgraded to an i7 11700f socket type LGA1200. I'm running on Windows 11. I tried figuring what bios I have in the system information window but it tells me "Can't collect information. Failed connection to this computer. Check to see that the Winmgmt service is running". When I tried to fix it and check if it was running it said no problems detected and wouldn't let me do anything from turning it off to pausing it. Also I did trying running as administrator and it didn't work. Gave me the same thing. (Allow to make changes and no other prompt to update the bios).

Feb 8, 2023
I believe not because my pc was sold three years ago. However would this impact my ability to upgrade bios with my i3 in? I still lack this ability to do anything to my bios. Thank you for helping. Sorry again I'm not that experienced.

Hi I upgraded my CPU to an i7 from an i3 and there is no display. I removed the cpu and put it back in still no display. I then put my i3 back in and tried updating to the modern bios but my pc won't load the prompt to update it. I use a Dell G5 5000 prebuilt and used the dell support page to download the files for it. When I downloaded the file and ran it it gave me the response of allow to make changes. When I clicked run it is supposed to restart but nothing has happened since. I even tried redoing it at least ten times but still no restart or system bios prompt that supposed to show up. Am I doing the right thing in trying to update my bios or is there a different alternative?
When you run the update file let it sit as I recall it looks like nothing is happening for a period of time.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
I believe not because my pc was sold three years ago. However would this impact my ability to upgrade bios with my i3 in? I still lack this ability to do anything to my bios. Thank you for helping. Sorry again I'm not that experienced.

Prebuilt are typically only going to offer certain BIOS updates and most of that is often in the case of a security flaw, etc.
If this model wasn't sold as an option with the i7 you will not be able to do so via traditional means.