[SOLVED] CPU I5-13600K + asus ROG strix B660-f gaming wifi + Kingston FURY BEAST RGB 2x8GB DDR5 not working together

I7210I

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2014
Hello,
reacently I bought asus ROG strix B660-f gaming wifi, and intel I5-13600K and memory's Kingston FURY BEAST RGB 2x8GB DDR5 5600MHz CL40,
I tried to start the PC but I got black screen so I understand after google that I need to update the motherboard, So did I from Asus webSite, and I managed to turn on PC once,
Then I changed the CPU to I7-12700K, and walla everything worked well, So I changed back to the I5, and still worked, then I install the windows 11 and just after this, I shut down the PC and start it back, and again, yellow light on the motherboard.
So I changed even the memorys to other ones that Asus recomended and yet..yellow light ,
What else can be?
Thank you

Solution
Yellow light is DRAM (Memory).

Which slots do you have the memory installed in?

When you changed memory did you disconnect power from the back of the PSU by unplugging it from the wall or switching off the switch on the back of the PSU, then removing the CMOS battery for several minutes, then putting the CMOS battery back in, plugging the unit back in and then powering back on?
Yellow light is DRAM (Memory).

Which slots do you have the memory installed in?

When you changed memory did you disconnect power from the back of the PSU by unplugging it from the wall or switching off the switch on the back of the PSU, then removing the CMOS battery for several minutes, then putting the CMOS battery back in, plugging the unit back in and then powering back on?

Reactions: I7210I
Solution
Yes, it matters.

Between changes of graphics card and memory, if there are any problems with it being recognized or working properly it is recommended to hard reset the BIOS because sometimes, often in fact, it fails to change settings and thinks the old hardware is still installed. You need to do a hard reset in order to correct that. It might not fix the problem, because sometimes that is NOT the problem, but often it is so it's always a good idea to at least TRY it. I see it resolve a lot of problems that don't get resolved any other way.

BIOS Hard Reset procedure

Power off the unit, switch the PSU off and unplug the PSU cord from either the wall or the power supply.

Remove the motherboard CMOS battery for about three to five minutes. In some cases it may be necessary to remove the graphics card to access the CMOS battery.

During that five minutes while the CMOS battery is out of the motherboard, press the power button on the case, continuously, for 15-30 seconds, in order to deplete any residual charge that might be present in the CMOS circuit. After the five minutes is up, reinstall the CMOS battery making sure to insert it with the correct side up just as it came out.

If you had to remove the graphics card you can now reinstall it, but remember to reconnect your power cables if there were any attached to it as well as your display cable.

Now, plug the power supply cable back in, switch the PSU back on and power up the system. It should display the POST screen and the options to enter CMOS/BIOS setup. Enter the bios setup program and reconfigure the boot settings for either the Windows boot manager or for legacy systems, the drive your OS is installed on if necessary.

Save settings and exit. If the system will POST and boot then you can move forward from there including going back into the bios and configuring any other custom settings you may need to configure such as Memory XMP, A-XMP or D.O.C.P profile settings, custom fan profile settings or other specific settings you may have previously had configured that were wiped out by resetting the CMOS.

In some cases it may be necessary when you go into the BIOS after a reset, to load the Optimal default or Default values and then save settings, to actually get the BIOS to fully reset and force recreation of the hardware tables.

You shouldn't need CSM enabled at all, unless you have some other very old legacy hardware running.

In the BIOS you will probably need to load the optimal default values, then restart and go back into BIOS.

And, if you've never installed windows yet, then it probably ISN'T going to show that drive until you install Windows on it. Just boot to your flash drive that has the Windows installation media on it and then follow my guide which is for Windows 10 but is exactly the same process until after you get past the "installing Windows" section.

I7210I

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2014
Yes I did that but the SSD is not appear at the table where to install windows, and not even at the BIOS itself..
So that's why I look for solutions,
There is difference if I do it via the windows tool or with rufus?
Thanks

Maybe. Why are you using Rufus?

Did you load the Optimal default settings in the BIOS on the Exit tab? And then go back through the settings and make sure to enable the required UEFI settings and disable CSM. Also reconfigure any required case or CPU fan settings, RGB settings, etc.

I7210I

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2014
Maybe. Why are you using Rufus?

Did you load the Optimal default settings in the BIOS on the Exit tab? And then go back through the settings and make sure to enable the required UEFI settings and disable CSM. Also reconfigure any required case or CPU fan settings, RGB settings, etc.
Because of the post I mention,
Anyhow, CSM by default is disabled, I never changed him, and which other UEFI settings I need to enable? cause I should se the SSD at the BIOS and I don't
Basically you think that this CPU can work in that configuration of yhe memory and the motherboard, or beter 12gen? and recomended memory's from the website?
Thanks

Many systems don't see any SSD in the BIOS if it is an NVME M.2 drive until it has been partitioned by the Windows installer.

If you follow the guide I posted, or this one, you should not have any problem so long as you do it exactly as outlined and don't use third party utilities like Rufus. Totally not necessary. Are you running a dual boot system with multiple operating system types on it?

I7210I

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2014
Many systems don't see any SSD in the BIOS if it is an NVME M.2 drive until it has been partitioned by the Windows installer.

If you follow the guide I posted, or this one, you should not have any problem so long as you do it exactly as outlined and don't use third party utilities like Rufus. Totally not necessary. Are you running a dual boot system with multiple operating system types on it?

No, its a new system, new parts, nothing installed, that is why I see it strange .
And about the compitability, is this combination is ok? the CPU and the memory's on the b660?

As far as specs go, it should be fine as that board supports up to DDR5 6000mhz with that CPU installed. As to whether the actual KIT is compatible with that board, can't say, because Kingston doesn't offer an actual memory compatibility list that shows compatibility by motherboard model, only by prebuilt systems models which is garbage, and is also why I rarely if ever recommend Kingston memory products. If they want to be a big boy player in this segment they need to do the work and offer the same type of compatibility model that G.Skill, Corsair and Crucial do, so that users know ahead of time if there is a high probability of success with a given kit or not.

I7210I

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2014
As far as specs go, it should be fine as that board supports up to DDR5 6000mhz with that CPU installed. As to whether the actual KIT is compatible with that board, can't say, because Kingston doesn't offer an actual memory compatibility list that shows compatibility by motherboard model, only by prebuilt systems models which is garbage, and is also why I rarely if ever recommend Kingston memory products. If they want to be a big boy player in this segment they need to do the work and offer the same type of compatibility model that G.Skill, Corsair and Crucial do, so that users know ahead of time if there is a high probability of success with a given kit or not.
there is on Asus site compitability list, but look for the 13gen cpu's

The motherboard QVL list is almost irrelevant, because it is only a VERY SMALL sample of what is compatible. They only test a small selection of kits and in no way does it represent all of the kits that can work on any given board. So if the kit you want to use is on the QVL/Memory support list for your motherboard, great, it will probably work, but if it isn't, it doesn't mean anything really unless it's also not shown as supported on the memory manufacturers website but again, Kingston doesn't offer this so I recommend sticking to G.Skill, Corsair or Crucial but you can always just try it and roll the dice that it will be compatible.

D

Deleted member 14196

Try the SSD in another system and see if it shows up or put it in an external USB enclosure and see if you can see it there just to see that it’s not defective

D

Deleted member 14196

Did you ever shut down and remove the CMOS battery? You really should try it and boot into the BIOS after that once you replaced it and set everything to default.

The clear CMOS button, if that is the method you are using, is rarely helpful. It SHOULD be, but I can show you at least two hundred threads on this forum alone where people have tried the clear CMOS button, or jumper pins, and have gotten nowhere from doing it, but removing the CMOS battery and pressing the power button for ten or twenty seconds to dissipate any residual power left in the system, which might SOUND like BS, but is a fact, works more often than not. Not in every case to be sure, but often enough to recommend as standard operating procedure rather than other methods.

What is the currently installed motherboard BIOS version? Please, don't say "updated already", I want the actual version as reported in the BIOS. If you knew how many times I've heard "it's on the latest version" and turns out that the either installed a version that WASN'T the latest version or that the update didn't "take" and they were still on the original version they tried to update from, you'd fall over.

So, one last recommendation, if you haven't already done it. Download and run Samsung magician and check for firmware update on your SSD. If there is a firmware update, install it. If not, then go ahead and take Magician back off, uninstall, if you wish. I see no reason to keep it on there unless it's to occasionally check for firmware updates.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Look for PTT in the bios and disable it. That's Intel Platform Trust Tech, basically part of TPM and can restrict hardware or hardware changes it doesn't recognize or doesn't trust.

You can also try booting into bios, then walking away from the pc for 30minutes+ then reboot, there are occasions when NVMe/Sata drives have a need to power cycle before the controller will talk to bios.