[SOLVED] cpu idle 50 degrees and peaks at 80(sometimes) just by me opening a chrome tab

Jul 31, 2021
Over the past week or so, I have noticed that my CPU has been running hotter than it really should.
My CPU has been running at around 50 degrees with low usage and few tasks and Idk why it's happening.
The only thing I can think is that the weather has been hot the last week or so and so my room gets a little hotter than normal.
If it is the unnormal temps, do you think I should invest in a better CPU cooler to preserve the life of the CPU?

Specs
R5 1600AF (stock stealth cooler)
ROG RX580 Strix
ROG B450-f gaming

Solution
Over the past week or so, I have noticed that my CPU has been running hotter than it really should.
My CPU has been running at around 50 degrees with low usage and few tasks and Idk why it's happening.
The only thing I can think is that the weather has been hot the last week or so and so my room gets a little hotter than normal.
If it is the unnormal temps, do you think I should invest in a better CPU cooler to preserve the life of the CPU?

Specs
ROG RX580 Strix
ROG B450-f gaming
The stock cooler is barely good enough for an AF processor. Getting a bigger one can help both with cooling and noise. But you should also look at case cooling since any air cooler won't be effective if left working...

Specs
ROG RX580 Strix
ROG B450-f gaming
The stock cooler is barely good enough for an AF processor. Getting a bigger one can help both with cooling and noise. But you should also look at case cooling since any air cooler won't be effective if left working with recirculated warm air, especially when the GPU is working hard. Add fans if there are open spots...in front blowing in, in top and back blowing out. And remove obstructions to airflow.

Reactions: dorsai
Solution
I agree with drea.drechsler that case cooling and cpu cooling are both in question if you're hitting 80 opening Chrome.

I'd suggest investing in a good case with front to back airflow and a good cpu cooler...even something mid level like the BeQuiet Pure Rock 2 will be a big improvement over stock cooling.

Jul 31, 2021
I agree with drea.drechsler that case cooling and cpu cooling are both in question if you're hitting 80 opening Chrome.

I'd suggest investing in a good case with front to back airflow and a good cpu cooler...even something mid level like the BeQuiet Pure Rock 2 will be a big improvement over stock cooling.
I bought my case at the beginning of the year and the case airflow feels fine if that means anything, like I can feel the air exiting out the back and top. I do think I should get a new cooler

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Well, it doesn't matter if it feels like the air is being exhausted. You should see temperature drops of CPU and GPU by 5-10 C, if you have good airflow. You have to compare before and after temps. If it's no improvement, it's a crap case, crap fans etc.

Tempered glass every is not good. Or hardly any air intakes in the front. For the front intake, you want to get in air from the bottom, sides and the front. There shouldn't be a very restrictive meshpanel there or tempered glass or a plastic/metalblock. It's like leaving your car in the sun, with closed doors and windows. It's not going to be cool inside. No matter how many fans you have running inside the car. You might also think 200mm fans are great. Put your hand in front of one. Do you feel the air hitting your hand 10 cm's away? I bet you wont. Because the fan spreads the air to the sides. That's what my brothers 200mm fan did, it was useless. Also, the smaller the center of the fan is, where the motor is, the better.

Stock coolers should be replaced. And you have probably had the CPU for a while. You should replace the paste every 2-3 years. It gets caked and wont really help cooling the CPU.

TRENDING THREADS