[SOLVED] CPU idle temp bouncing

catty

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2013
Hey Guys, I need some help with my CPU temp.

When checking it on idle, I notice a substantial bounce of temperature on my HW monitor. It bounces between 30 and 54 degrees constantly on idle. When running Real Bench it seems to stop bouncing and stay around the 63 degrees.

I have a I7 8700K CPU, with a Corsair H150I pro cooler.

I have already re-applied thermal paste but it didn't seem to make a difference. I have also made sure the cooler was tightened.

So is this a worrying thing or is this normal ? And if not could you let me know of any suggestions of what the problem is and what I could do to fix it ?

** the reason I have started to look at this was because I was oc the cpu and when around 5GH and around 1.3V it was going up to 100 degrees.**

Solution

When checking it on idle, I notice a substantial bounce of temperature on my HW monitor. It bounces between 30 and 54 degrees constantly on idle. When running Real Bench it seems to stop bouncing and stay around the 63 degrees.

I have already re-applied thermal paste but it didn't seem to make a difference. I have also made sure the cooler was tightened.

So is this a worrying thing or is this normal ? And if not could you let me know of any suggestions of what the problem is and what I could do to fix it ?

** the reason I have started to look at this was because I was oc the cpu and when around 5GH and around 1.3V it was going...

** the reason I have started to look at this was because I was oc the cpu and when around 5GH and around 1.3V it was going up to 100 degrees.**
It's quite normal for modern multicore processors when left on auto. Cores lower frequency or some even go to sleep mode and when OS places a demand on one or more cores they speed up which produces more heat. Run Task manager ad you will see what's going on in the background.

Solution

iq7

Dec 18, 2020

what exactly motherboard and power supply do you have ?
did you notice this problem after play a game or something?