Question CPU Idle Temp Fine, Load Temp >90c

Saltrenis

Reputable
Mar 16, 2016
As the title states, when I'm running just browser and small things my CPU temp is around 47 celsius. But when I try running load tests or even playing intensive video games my CPU temps get up to 100c at times. I just ordered some thermal paste to re-apply to hopefully solve this issue but just in case any other ideas what could be wrong or what I could try? I have an i7 7700k and an H100i v2. I used the paste that came with the cooler when I applied it a few years ago. I have moved houses and various other things since then as well. Also my cooler is reporting a temp of 32 celsius while my MSI afterburner is reporting in 40s. Should these be the same if the paste is working? If not which one should I be using? Thank you in advance.

D

Deleted member 2720853

What is your chassis? What's your airflow like? How are your case fans set up?

That is not a very ideal temp when just browsing, and being essentialy idle, for an AIO.

To make sure everything is working properly, make sure that the AIO pump is installed correctly and double check to see if the paste spread properly.

Report back with answers to my questions and we can take it from there.

Ferimer

Distinguished
As the title states, when I'm running just browser and small things my CPU temp is around 47 celsius. But when I try running load tests or even playing intensive video games my CPU temps get up to 100c at times. I just ordered some thermal paste to re-apply to hopefully solve this issue but just in case any other ideas what could be wrong or what I could try? I have an i7 7700k and an H100i v2. I used the paste that came with the cooler when I applied it a few years ago. I have moved houses and various other things since then as well. Also my cooler is reporting a temp of 32 celsius while my MSI afterburner is reporting in 40s. Should these be the same if the paste is working? If not which one should I be using? Thank you in advance.
100 is very extreme especially with an i7 7700k when i believe its max temp should be like 80-85. Depends on the Thermal paste you got, was it Diamond? Most Apps most definitely report different temps. usually when its less than 1-2 degrees difference between the two then its not much to worry about but 8-10 could mean that one is completely off and one is accurate. Only way to for sure know is to check with another app and see what it says. Also i would be checking your AIO liquid cooling pipes as there could be a blockage. try to find some youtube videos or tutorials on how to clean it properly and safely. Ive heard that the H100i V2 have known blockage issues and failure after a couple of years, its why a lot of people are making a switch over to DeepCool

Last edited:

Ferimer

Distinguished
Also i would be checking your AIO liquid cooling pipes as there could be a blockage. try to find some youtube videos or tutorials on how to clean it properly and safely. Ive heard that the H100i V2 have known blockage issues and failure after a couple of years, its why a lot of people are making a switch over to DeepCool

Saltrenis

Reputable
Mar 16, 2016
What is your chassis? What's your airflow like? How are your case fans set up?

That is not a very ideal temp when just browsing, and being essentialy idle, for an AIO.

To make sure everything is working properly, make sure that the AIO pump is installed correctly and double check to see if the paste spread properly.

Report back with answers to my questions and we can take it from there.

I have the Rosewill Throne. I currently have the side off and the radiator completely outside my case with these temperatures. My case flow is fine when all assembled as it runs at almost these same temps. I do not want to remove my cooler yet as it seems to be mildly working as my cpu isn't burning up just running and I don't have my new paste in yet. The H100i v2 comes with pre-applied paste which I imagine is spread as properly as it can be.

D

Deleted member 2720853

I have the Rosewill Throne. I currently have the side off and the radiator completely outside my case with these temperatures. My case flow is fine when all assembled as it runs at almost these same temps. I do not want to remove my cooler yet as it seems to be mildly working as my cpu isn't burning up just running and I don't have my new paste in yet. The H100i v2 comes with pre-applied paste which I imagine is spread as properly as it can be.
100c load temps for a CPU cooled by an AIO is not normal. Something is wrong with your AIO. Either blockage as the poster two replies above said, or your pump isn't mounted properly. When you get new paste, I would definitely advise checking out that AIO.

Saltrenis

Reputable
Mar 16, 2016
100c load temps for a CPU cooled by an AIO is not normal. Something is wrong with your AIO. Either blockage as the poster two replies above said, or your pump isn't mounted properly. When you get new paste, I would definitely advise checking out that AIO.

Yeah that was the first thing I did when I saw the temperatures was order new paste. I'll be back when that comes in tomorrow and let you know my findings. Thanks for all the help.