CPU idles in the 60's

Surferd31

Prominent
Jun 19, 2017
Hello, I just finished building my PC last night and have been trying to get the CPU temperature down with little success. As soon as I boot it, it'll idle at around 55-63 degrees in BIOS. Opening browsers and downloading files (such as Prime95) with corsair link running causes it to reach the low 90's and stabilizes in the 80's. I've been too afraid to try anything else like games or even YouTube. I've tried reapplying the thermal paste (AS5) numerous times using different techniques but the difference is only around 5 degrees.

Thank you

Solution
Even at 100°C you see no fatal errors. I know because I've done that several times on stable systems and their CPU throttles, but they keep on working properly. You need to figure out why the CPU isn't stable; slightly increase (heat may become an issue) or decrease voltage to determine if it helps. Until you want/need to check the performance of your cooler or ensure your CPU's AVX instructions are not causing the issue, use the much easier P95 26.6 (the CPU will run 15-20°C cooler).

Surferd31

Prominent
Jun 19, 2017
Oh, its on performance and with that it has it set to run at 100% by the time it hits 40C. I just booted the computer back after having it off for awhile and went straight to BIO, and immediately shows 45 degrees and increases till it reaches around 54 degrees. Once I load up to windows everything picks up to high RPM and drops the temperature down to 45 and has been steady here for about 5 minutes now.

Even at 100°C you see no fatal errors. I know because I've done that several times on stable systems and their CPU throttles, but they keep on working properly. You need to figure out why the CPU isn't stable; slightly increase (heat may become an issue) or decrease voltage to determine if it helps. Until you want/need to check the performance of your cooler or ensure your CPU's AVX instructions are not causing the issue, use the much easier P95 26.6 (the CPU will run 15-20°C cooler).

Solution

Surferd31

Prominent
Jun 19, 2017
Thank you both for your answers, I have found the solution. It appears it was due to the refurbished cooler. I went to the store and returned and got a new h115i and ran the prime 95 blend test and the temperature has not surpassed 55 degrees at 100% load for several minutes, and with small fft it has not surpassed 65. Now i know its only been a few minutes but with the old cooler it would have shot passed 88 degrees by now. It also idles at below 30 degree and the fans are also not as loud. Very pleased