[SOLVED] CPU idling around 70-80C

May 22, 2021
A few weeks ago I started having issues with my pc randomly turning off, so I reinstalled windows which seemed to fix it for a while, until yesterday, when it started to do it again more frequently, I checked my temps and my cpu was at 107C, I assumed it was the cooler so I put the stock cooler on instead, and its still idling around 70-80C.

Solution
I have 3 intakes in the front and another intake in the back, then a meshed hole in the top
Okay, so your ventilation is not good in my opinion.

Having 3 intake fans in the front is good, but having another intake at the back is not a good idea.

In my opinion, you should change the orientation of the fan on the back to exhaust, so that the hot air from your components leaves the case. Also having 2 extra exhaust fans on top would help, since hot air tends to rise up.
Basically your front fans bring in fresh cold air, and your back and top fans remove the hot air from the case.

For a better understanding, here is how it should be working: Example .

Hope this helps a bit. Also, consider getting a better CPU cooler...

Dunlop0078

Titan
Ambassador
Are you using thermal paste? Messed with any BIOS settings? If those temps are accurate I would assume you are either not using thermal paste of the cooler is installed incorrectly. If it idles at 80c it will certainly overheat the moment you put it under load. Not a good idea to use it at those temps for any extended period of time.

May 22, 2021
Are you using thermal paste? Messed with any BIOS settings? If those temps are accurate I would assume you are either not using thermal paste of the cooler is installed incorrectly. If it idles at 80c it will certainly overheat the moment you put it under load. Not a good idea to use it at those temps for any extended period of time.
I'm using thermal paste and I boosted the fan settings in bios to see if that would help which it didnt really

HDinis09

Prominent
Nov 30, 2020
I'm using thermal paste and I boosted the fan settings in bios to see if that would help which it didnt really
Your Windows probably shuts down because of your temperatures.

As a Ryzen 5 3600 user, my temps at idle were about 50C, with the stock cooler, which is not really good. You appear to have an even worse situation.

As @Dunlop0078 stated, your cooler may be incorrectly installed, and it is very dangerous to leave those temperatures for extended periods of time. Attempt to check/reinstall the cooler if you are able to do it by yourself.

If this continues to happen with a new thermal paste application and cooler installation, the issue could still be in your case/fans. I have a front mesh case with 3 intake and 3 exhaust fans.

Please note that if you do have proper ventilation in your case(even without a mesh front), try changing your cooler. After changing mine, temps went from 95C+(Using Prime95 stress test) to no more than 66C.

If you want to know, I am using an Arctic Freezer 34 eSports DUO.

May 22, 2021
Your Windows probably shuts down because of your temperatures.

As a Ryzen 5 3600 user, my temps at idle were about 50C, with the stock cooler, which is not really good. You appear to have an even worse situation.

As @Dunlop0078 stated, your cooler may be incorrectly installed, and it is very dangerous to leave those temperatures for extended periods of time. Attempt to check/reinstall the cooler if you are able to do it by yourself.

If this continues to happen with a new thermal paste application and cooler installation, the issue could still be in your case/fans. I have a front mesh case with 3 intake and 3 exhaust fans.

Please note that if you do have proper ventilation in your case(even without a mesh front), try changing your cooler. After changing mine, temps went from 95C+(Using Prime95 stress test) to no more than 66C.

If you want to know, I am using an Arctic Freezer 34 eSports DUO.
Ive reinstalled the cooler and my temps have dropped to around 60-70C which is far better since its useable but it still seems quite hot

HDinis09

Prominent
Nov 30, 2020
I have 3 intakes in the front and another intake in the back, then a meshed hole in the top

Having 3 intake fans in the front is good, but having another intake at the back is not a good idea.

In my opinion, you should change the orientation of the fan on the back to exhaust, so that the hot air from your components leaves the case. Also having 2 extra exhaust fans on top would help, since hot air tends to rise up.
Basically your front fans bring in fresh cold air, and your back and top fans remove the hot air from the case.

Hope this helps a bit. Also, consider getting a better CPU cooler, since Ryzen tends to get a bit hot even with good overall ventilation(with stock cooler), but this should help your situation a bit.

Solution
May 22, 2021

Hope this helps a bit. Also, consider getting a better CPU cooler, since Ryzen tends to get a bit hot even with good overall ventilation(with stock cooler), but this should help your situation a bit.
This is only temporary, in my original post I mentioned that I had to replace another cooler with the stock cooler, this was a liquid cooler which used the top as an exhaust and I only realized recently that the back fan was an intake

HDinis09

Prominent
Nov 30, 2020
This is only temporary, in my original post I mentioned that I had to replace another cooler with the stock cooler, this was a liquid cooler which used the top as an exhaust and I only realized recently that the back fan was an intake
Yes apologies, I misread your text. Then when just change the other fan and I should help. At least it won't make it worse, for sure!