Question CPU Idling At Around 70 Degrees

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Aug 17, 2020
Hi.

I built my own pc about 6 months ago. I noticed a while ago (although I have a feeling this has been happening since day 1) that my room gets hotter than it should when I use my computer, especially so when I play games - and our electricity bill has been massive (may not be related). I didn't think too much of it as I checked my gpu temps and they were okay. I recently decided I should check my cpu temps and was blown away when I saw that myAMD RYZEN R5 3600 idles at around 70 degrees in Windows. In BIOS it idles at around 46 degrees. I think 46 degrees in BIOS is okay, though 70 degrees in Windows is very worrying.

• I have used three programs to check my temperatures (Core Temp, NZXT Cam, and HWiNFO).
  • I have done no overclocking or anything similar.
  • Room temperature is around 25 degrees (I live in Australia) and my pc is sitting on a wooden table with nothing close to it or smothering it.
  • I am using the stock cooler with the thermal paste that came already on the cooler (so it can't be a case of me not using any / using too much/too little, etc). And I did remove the plastic film prior to installing it.
  • I have ran scans with AVG and MalwareBytes antivirus software.
  • I have cleaned my pc with a duster can (even though it wasn't dusty to begin with).
View: https://imgur.com/c1qGcrb

View: https://imgur.com/bigSBj4

In task manager, when the temps are around 65 deg my cpu is at about 5% usage. This really bothers me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Last edited:
Aug 17, 2020
more tp, at least you knew to take the plastic off, I did that long ago on a Duron 800 CPU, lucky we realised pretty quick :)
I was actually relieved when I saw the tp already on there, because I thought that's just 1 less thing I could stuff up.. seems that I was wrong lol.

Aug 17, 2020
I have an update.

I booted Linux Ubuntu in safe mode via a usb and 'k10temp-pci-00c3' temp sat at 40 degrees.. Which seems to be about what it should sit at at idle..

So I guess that means I have malware (even thought I've ran scans with 2 different software), or another software issue.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to blame.

since we can't check temps in safe mode, its next best thing

Aug 17, 2020
Did I ask this already?

What power plan are you running in settings/system/power & sleep
Under related settings, click additional power settings
are you running Ryzen Balanced or Ryzen High Performance?

do you have latest chipset drivers for https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/b550

I'm about to try a clean boot.

In settings I was running in high performance. I changed this to balanced.

I can't find any setting for 'Ryzen Balanced or Ryzen High Performance'.

I'm currently running a virus scan now with BitDefender and temps are over 90 degrees :(

I just downloaded and installed the latest chipset drivers, yet my temps remain the same (I had no idea cpu's had drivers..).

I'll let you know how the clean boot goes.

Colif

Win 11 Master
high performance should have had cpu running at 100% all the time, didn't you see any drop in temps after changing it?

i wouldn't run a scan with bitdefender if its running hot now, it is normally good enough to stop virus before they get on pc.

shame no sensor programs work in safe mode.
the ryzen chipset drivers mainly provide the ryzen power plans I mentioned, did you look there before or after getting drivers?

Aug 17, 2020
high performance should have had cpu running at 100% all the time, didn't you see any drop in temps after changing it?

i wouldn't run a scan with bitdefender if its running hot now, it is normally good enough to stop virus before they get on pc.

shame no sensor programs work in safe mode.
the ryzen chipset drivers mainly provide the ryzen power plans I mentioned, did you look there before or after getting drivers?

Ahh yes, I can see the AMD power options now. None was selected so I chose 'preferred plans - AMD Ryzen balanced'.

Ok, temps were averaging 65 degrees, then when I gave it a clean boot my temps sat around 55 degrees.. While this is an improvement, it didn't drop my temps to 45ish degrees which I think are what I should be expecting, it may just be because I have less processes running?

Colif

Win 11 Master
linux is less stressing on a pc compared to windows.
have a look at what programs you stopped in start, as one of those is adding to temps. Do you run any Gigabyte programs at startup?

could be you still need to do the thermal paste thing.

my temps bounce to 59 pretty regular, they just don't stay there for long. if i don't type they can get to 44 but soon bounce up again. Its normal.

Aug 17, 2020
linux is less stressing on a pc compared to windows.
have a look at what programs you stopped in start, as one of those is adding to temps. Do you run any Gigabyte programs at startup?

could be you still need to do the thermal paste thing.

my temps bounce to 59 pretty regular, they just don't stay there for long. if i don't type they can get to 44 but soon bounce up again. Its normal.

I have no Gigabyte programs running.

I will do the thermal paste first thing tomorrow and let you know how I go :). The reason I disregarded this at first is because I am surprised a stock cooler with stock thermal paste isn't really sufficient.

Colif

Win 11 Master
44 to 55 might be about right actually. mine never stays on 44, it is constantly moving. i have set up hwinfo to always show my gpu and CPU temps, and it might peak at about 55 but it never stays there. The temp is an average, there are over 50 temp sensors on a Ryzen cpu so the temps you see are constantly changing as it rises and falls.

i don't think using bios temps is reasonable as there is nothing happening in bios so cpu can turn most of its cores off and run slow.

I wonder if that temp is a core temp or a package temp. the package is the outside of the CPU

Aug 17, 2020
44 to 55 might be about right actually. mine never stays on 44, it is constantly moving. i have set up hwinfo to always show my gpu and CPU temps, and it might peak at about 55 but it never stays there. The temp is an average, there are over 50 temp sensors on a Ryzen cpu so the temps you see are constantly changing as it rises and falls.

i don't think using bios temps is reasonable as there is nothing happening in bios so cpu can turn most of its cores off and run slow.

I wonder if that temp is a core temp or a package temp. the package is the outside of the CPU

Here is my reading:

I've highlighted the three averages I have been paying attention to. Seeing the whole thing might make more sense to you.

I think that I need to add some more fans to my case, so I will do that tomorrow, as well as changing the thermal paste. Then we will see from there :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Colif

Win 11 Master
rest of system is cool though, the temps for the Board are lower than mine, so its just the CPU that is hot. The max temp on all 3 are about what i get, the minimum is too high though.
OJbQxfF.jpg

and if you compare your system to mine, the temps on rest of board aren't high so i don't think extra exhaust help that much
SuMqh06.jpg

you cooler than I am in some places.
its either the paste on the cooler or the cooler itself.

Dec 26, 2020
Hi.

I built my own pc about 6 months ago. I noticed a while ago (although I have a feeling this has been happening since day 1) that my room gets hotter than it should when I use my computer, especially so when I play games - and our electricity bill has been massive (may not be related). I didn't think too much of it as I checked my gpu temps and they were okay. I recently decided I should check my cpu temps and was blown away when I saw that myAMD RYZEN R5 3600 idles at around 70 degrees in Windows. In BIOS it idles at around 46 degrees. I think 46 degrees in BIOS is okay, though 70 degrees in Windows is very worrying.

• I have used three programs to check my temperatures (Core Temp, NZXT Cam, and HWiNFO).
  • I have done no overclocking or anything similar.
  • Room temperature is around 25 degrees (I live in Australia) and my pc is sitting on a wooden table with nothing close to it or smothering it.
  • I am using the stock cooler with the thermal paste that came already on the cooler (so it can't be a case of me not using any / using too much/too little, etc). And I did remove the plastic film prior to installing it.
  • I have ran scans with AVG and MalwareBytes antivirus software.
  • I have cleaned my pc with a duster can (even though it wasn't dusty to begin with).
View: https://imgur.com/c1qGcrb

View: https://imgur.com/bigSBj4

In task manager, when the temps are around 65 deg my cpu is at about 5% usage. This really bothers me. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.
Watching your bios image i can see that your cpu is at a frecuency of 3.6ghz and in your nzxt´s image you have it at 4.1ghz with no load. That`s why you have those temperatures. Check in bios if the multiplier from the cpu clock is setted manualy to x41. If so, then change it to Auto and check again with nzxt your frecuency with no load. It should be less than your base clock if it doesn´t have any load and the multiplier is setted to auto. If it is not the problem then something in windows is putting your clock at 4.1ghz constantly like some option of performance/balance i believe.

Aug 17, 2020
Your ram is wrong speed. Its running at 1333, it should be 1800. You don't have it in XMP

the CPU temp under the motherboard description is the package, its the outside of CPU

I set XMP in my BIOS but then my pc wouldn't start, it would boot till the screen where you can press a button to enter BIOS and reset. After doing this a few times it froze :( When I turned XMP off it started.

Aug 17, 2020
Watching your bios image i can see that your cpu is at a frecuency of 3.6ghz and in your nzxt´s image you have it at 4.1ghz with no load. That`s why you have those temperatures. Check in bios if the multiplier from the cpu clock is setted manualy to x41. If so, then change it to Auto and check again with nzxt your frecuency with no load. It should be less than your base clock if it doesn´t have any load and the multiplier is setted to auto. If it is not the problem then something in windows is putting your clock at 4.1ghz constantly like some option of performance/balance i believe.

Thank you, but I think it is set to 'auto', as in the image below.

View: https://imgur.com/5NHjfal

The first thing I do when dealing with heat issues is to set all fans to run at 100%. If that solves the heat problem than you need more fans if you plan to run them 'slow'. Personally, I always just run fans at 100% so they can do their job--cool!

Aug 17, 2020
The first thing I do when dealing with heat issues is to set all fans to run at 100%. If that solves the heat problem than you need more fans if you plan to run them 'slow'. Personally, I always just run fans at 100% so they can do their job--cool!

Thanks, but my cpu fan is already going at 100% constantly. And my other components are not running hot.

Aug 17, 2020
Samir obviously likes to hear their system all the time. I had my aio on balanced today and icue randomly restarted, that makes me nervous.
What are you going to do about the heat?
I took my pc into a shop.

It turns out I had my cpu fan plugged into one of my case fans spots, and one of my cases fans plugged into the cpu fans spot (you noticed the inconsistency with the fans in my BIOS Colif).

Thank you very much guys. I really appreciate the help and I learned a lot by taking your feedback and messing around trying to fix it myself.

Colif

Win 11 Master
are you using hwinfo? did you change its polling rate?
Ryzen cpu never stay at one temp while idling, its why i question the temps. mines always bouncing up and down all day, 44 to 55

did you try a clean boot to see if windows with no startup programs is still hot? seems odd it runs that much cooler in linux.

notices he already suggested clean boot and updating chipset drivers... hmm