Question CPU Install Issues (Crashing/Freezing/Not Booting Sometimes)

Jan 10, 2020
Hello,
I recently bought an i7 4790k as an upgrade in order to not bottle neck the 1660ti I got for Christmas and it came in yesterday. Unfortunately I have been having many issues with it, so many in fact I am worried what the cause is. For starters I have obviously an i7 4790k and a 1660ti, but am using an MSI Z97 PC Mate motherboard, a Cooler Master G550M power supply and 8GB of some G.Skill RAM. The main issues are stability related. When I can get it to boot into windows (Sometimes it just doesn't want to boot even into the BIOS which is worrying) it will work for 1-10 minutes and then either freeze or crash. I have had CPUID up while it has crashed before and the temps aren't going crazy, even though they are a little high, around 60-65 (I ordered a 212 EVO to cover that). To make it even weirder, I managed to get Halo MCC running for a full match once and it sustained 85°C and didn't crash, but did so randomly a couple minutes after I stopped playing. Sometimes it just freezes and won't unfreeze but one or two times I got a blue screen with the "WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR" code. Here are the list of things I have tried that have not worked:
  • Reseating every part in the PC
  • Reapplying thermal paste
  • Putting my old CPU back in (It worked)
  • Turning off all turboing in the BIOS
  • Disabling XMP
  • IDE and AHCI SATA modes
  • Chkdsk
  • CMOS reset
  • Updating BIOS
  • Upping CPU voltage a bit
  • Reinstalling any drivers I could
  • Probably a couple others I forgot.
I'll link pictures of what the Windows Reliability Monitor says the error was. I can dig through Event Viewer or some crash dump files if you guys can quickly walk me through what to look for as well. http://imgur.com/a/Gv1604W
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks a ton.

Danymq

Reputable
Jan 9, 2020
Have you checked your SATA cables? I had a similar problem where my PC wouldn't give me any post or crashes and really slow boot times and slow performance overall, and it was because of a faulty SATA cable that was preventing my PC from booting (I received errors in the BIOS and in Windows that made me think that was an OC problem or just a CPU problem) but in the end it was just a simple $2 sata cable.

So, try disconnecting all internal SATA/IDE Drives and leave only the main one that you use with the best SATA cable you have.