Question CPU (Intel i7 11700k) very hot

Aug 17, 2022
My CPU has been running very hot lately. Some games push it to 90-100c. I've been screwing around with so much stuff and I am at the point where I don't know what to do...

I have already reapplied thermal paste and remounted the cooler (Corsair H80i)
I think there is liquid running through the cooler tubes, I can feel it.

I don't know if my cooler is broken or something. What's the best option? Buy a new cooler, if yes, which one?

EDIT: It is pretty hot here atm. Can I not just cap the W to decrease temps until it cools down in the netherlands?
https://www.anandtech.com/show/16535/intel-core-i7-11700k-review-blasting-off-with-rocket-lake/2

You realistically need a better cooler.
A 120mm water cooler is not going to keep up with a processor like that, as you have found out. The H80i, when it was new, was only marginally better than similar price air coolers. These days, not even close.
Specific cooler would depend on your case and RAM clearance, you could go for a bigger water cooler, or preferably big air.

Aug 17, 2022
You realistically need a better cooler.
A 120mm water cooler is not going to keep up with a processor like that, as you have found out. The H80i, when it was new, was only marginally better than similar price air coolers. These days, not even close.
Specific cooler would depend on your case and RAM clearance, you could go for a bigger water cooler, or preferably big air.
Alright, I'll look into a new fan, thanks. For now can I undervolt my CPU?

Aug 17, 2022
It would certainly do better than the H80i, but as someone who used to have an H100i, I wouldnt really recommend them.
AIO coolers like that are generally sub par for their price, generally running louder and not quite as good as big air.
However, they are easier to fit into some cases if RAM is an issue, for example.

Alternatively:
you recommend a air cooler over and AIO?

Performance wise, they are likely to be very similar.
Noise is another aspect, AIOs are going to be significantly louder.
Although very unlikely, leaks are something to consider as well.
Lastly, not a major concern for most people, but heatsink+fan combos typically last longer. Less moving parts to break, and if they do, its just the fans. AIOs you have to worry about the sealed pump, which you cant replace. There is also galvanic corrosion to consider, where the aluminum rad used in most AIOs will react with the copper in the block and lead to corrosion buildup and the death of the AIO, but that takes time.

Aug 17, 2022
Performance wise, they are likely to be very similar.
Noise is another aspect, AIOs are going to be significantly louder.
Although very unlikely, leaks are something to consider as well.
Lastly, not a major concern for most people, but heatsink+fan combos typically last longer. Less moving parts to break, and if they do, its just the fans. AIOs you have to worry about the sealed pump, which you cant replace. There is also galvanic corrosion to consider, where the aluminum rad used in most AIOs will react with the copper in the block and lead to corrosion buildup and the death of the AIO, but that takes time.
Alright, so I'm gonna go for a air cooler! What should I look at when looking for one? Or should I just buy one of the coolers you recommended?

Sorry if I'm asking alot, just wanna get it right :)

The main considerations are:
Will it fit your socket? Most air coolers are fairly universal.
Will it fit your case? Cases have a cooler height listed usually, or you can measure it.
Will it clear your RAM? Some RAM has taller heatspreaders on them, slots may be closer to the CPU socket, etc.

Overall, those two coolers are top performers especially for their price. You can find reviews online comparing other models and compare that to your local prices, but either would be a solid choice. The NH-D series has always been popular (D14, 15, 15s, etc).