Question CPU is being severely throttled found a solution but unsure of underlying cause or if it is a viable long term solution

• Thread starter Deleted member 2924282
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2924282

System Model Aspire A515-56G
Windows 11
Processor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1135G7

Hi I recently purchased a new laptop and I noticed that it was underperforming compared to the same laptop in videos. I checked the CPU in task manager and cpu-z and hwmonitor while running the cpu-z stress test and it showed me that sometimes they did not boost past 1.6ghz and didn't reach 100% utilization, sometimes however they did reach 100% cpu usage but didn't every boost much past their base frequency like 2.6 or 2.8ghz when it should be able to reach much higher in a benchmark and their physical temperatures weren't that high. On the multicore bench mark I got 1500/400 ish where I expect to get around 2500/500. I assumed they were getting throttled and I turned off intelppm and restarted and it kept the CPU at it's high boost clock and I was able to get the expected 2500/500 benchmark. Is there a way to fix this without turning off intelppm/ do you have any idea what could be causing it to act this way and or is it safe to keep the cpu boosted all the time?

System Model Aspire A515-56G
Windows 11
Processor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-1135G7

Hi I recently purchased a new laptop and I noticed that it was underperforming compared to the same laptop in videos. I checked the CPU in task manager and cpu-z and hwmonitor while running the cpu-z stress test and it showed me that sometimes they did not boost past 1.6ghz and didn't reach 100% utilization, sometimes however they did reach 100% cpu usage but didn't every boost much past their base frequency like 2.6 or 2.8ghz when it should be able to reach much higher in a benchmark and their physical temperatures weren't that high. On the multicore bench mark I got 1500/400 ish where I expect to get around 2500/500. I assumed they were getting throttled and I turned off intelppm and restarted and it kept the CPU at it's high boost clock and I was able to get the expected 2500/500 benchmark. Is there a way to fix this without turning off intelppm/ do you have any idea what could be causing it to act this way and or is it safe to keep the cpu boosted all the time?
What are you using to determine it's max boost?

The max boost of 4.2Ghz is only reached on a single core for a short time. I'm not sure what the all core boost frequency is for this chip but the base frequency is 2.4Ghz. All CPU's will drop to their base frequency after a certain amount of time when under a sustained load.

Low boost behaviour does appear be normal with this laptop to keep temperatures under control. Does your model have the MX350 graphics chip as well, if so then I wouldn't be surprised by it not boosting when the GPU is under load, this is common in laptops. I'd be reluctant to force it to boost because normally manufacturers configure them in a particular way for a reason.

D

Deleted member 2924282

What are you using to determine it's max boost?

The max boost of 4.2Ghz is only reached on a single core for a short time. I'm not sure what the all core boost frequency is for this chip but the base frequency is 2.4Ghz. All CPU's will drop to their base frequency after a certain amount of time when under a sustained load.

Low boost behaviour does appear be normal with this laptop to keep temperatures under control. Does your model have the MX350 graphics chip as well, if so then I wouldn't be surprised by it not boosting when the GPU is under load, this is common in laptops. I'd be reluctant to force it to boost because normally manufacturers configure them in a particular way for a reason.

Hi I did some more testing and found out it was power limit throttled but it still for some reason doesn't reach its base frequency when running programs. For example when stressing it in CPU-Z it will stay at around 2.4ghz but when i download something it drops all the way down to 1ghz

KyaraM

Admirable
What power and cooling plan are you using? All Windows machines have a power plan accessible in the system settings. Type Edit Power Plan or something like that in the search bar or press the window key and then type. It should be set to balanced, usually, or one of the performance modes. Power saver would be bad for performance and might reduce clocks to save energy.

Then, many laptops also come with different cooling settings. For example, my Asus TUF Gaming laptop has three different cooling plans, silent, performance, and turbo. If it is set to silent, the CPU will throttle since the cooling gets reduced, and running at full speed would be bad for the chip. Do you have an FN key and a fan symbol somewhere on your F-number keys? That would be the combo to switch between plans. Setting a higher cooling plan, if there are any on your machine, will increase noise under load, but that is normal.

D

Deleted member 2924282

What power and cooling plan are you using? All Windows machines have a power plan accessible in the system settings. Type Edit Power Plan or something like that in the search bar or press the window key and then type. It should be set to balanced, usually, or one of the performance modes. Power saver would be bad for performance and might reduce clocks to save energy.

Then, many laptops also come with different cooling settings. For example, my Asus TUF Gaming laptop has three different cooling plans, silent, performance, and turbo. If it is set to silent, the CPU will throttle since the cooling gets reduced, and running at full speed would be bad for the chip. Do you have an FN key and a fan symbol somewhere on your F-number keys? That would be the combo to switch between plans. Setting a higher cooling plan, if there are any on your machine, will increase noise under load, but that is normal.
I'm using the best performance power plan and I've maxed the useage and the cooling. I've found that its power throttling for some reason when it shouldn't be.