CPU is not reading all of RAM

bingaloman

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2012
I have an FX 8150 and it has 2 broken off pins, but it still works and boots into windows fine, it just does not read all of my RAM that is installed. I have Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit by the way.

I know my ram and mobo is good because I mainly use a FX 6100 in that system and it reads everything just fine, it's just I got this FX 8150 off someone and I got it to work except it doesn't see all of my ram.

I have 4GB installed but it reads I only have 3GB and with only 2GB usable. In CPU-Z it shows that it is running in single channel while I have 2 sticks installed.

Is there any way to fix this? I'm thinking of somehow gluing on the 2 missing pins on the CPU somehow? I have an extra dead CPU laying around and I could just break off 2 pins of it.

Does anyone know if this will work or any other solutions I should try? It works I just wanna try to get it working fully to see all of my RAM.

Thanks!

I'm sure that you have to know that the two broken pins are the reason for the issue with seeing all the ram, your trying to use a CPU that's some what broken.
No you can't glue the pins back on because they would not make good contact, the pins would have to be soldered on to have good contact and that would be almost impossible to do without getting solder on some of the other pins.

clok555

Honorable
Mar 15, 2012
short of buying a new cpu, this seems to be the only way to go. of course it willwork if you do i right but you could risk damaging your motherboard.

djabhi003

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2011

Just wondering, are you using a 32 bit OS or 64 bit one? I am assuming 64 bit as the FX 6100 does see the whole RAM.
64bit OS can only use fully 4 GB or above RAM.
If you are indeed on a 64 bit OS, then its those two PIN's buddy. And u could try soldering two pins back, for that you'd need to take it to a place where they do Chip level servicing! Search for such places in google around your area. Thats the best bet you have! Else that CPU is useless!

Do not use the CPU without those pins in your Motherboard, it may end up frying itself and the mobo or other parts along with it! So be careful!