[SOLVED] CPU is running at 99% while my GPU is at 30%-50%

Sep 8, 2019
Specs:
Intel i7-6700k @4.00GHz
Asus Strix 1080ti
16Gb of RAM (15.1 - Total Physical)

I think its a bottleneck issue, however, I don't want to believe it (knock some sense into me/help me). Take an example: In Division 2 I get 75fps just roaming the streets, however, I see that my CPU is being used more over than my GPU. I've tried going into NVIDIA control panel to prefer my GPU over my CPU, ("OpenGL rendering GPU _set to GTX 1080ti") and ("PhysX settings Processor: GTX 1080Ti) I also went into Display Settings > Graphic Settings and set some games to High Performance. But while doing that I also saw that the power saving GPU is also set to my 1080ti when in people's videos it's their CPU. I also went into MSConfig > Boot > Advanced options... and thought that I was only using one core. However, I enabled all 8 cores and checked maximum memory. This produced the 99% CPU and 30%-50% of my GPU. (Before it was the same.)

Solution
A 1080 Ti is a rather powerful graphics card capable of running games well at much higher resolutions like 1440p and above, and at a somewhat lower resolution like 1080p, you will in many cases be limited by the performance of your CPU more than anything.

Each frame, the CPU has to perform various calculations in a game, including things like AI, physics, sound processing and general game logic. Meanwhile, the GPU is in charge of rendering the image to display on your screen. When one gets its work done quicker than the other, it will need to wait before starting work on the next frame. So, at a somewhat lower resolution, a high-end graphics card like that is more likely to finish rendering a frame before the CPU is ready with the...
What are you game settings set to? Low, medium, high, ultra?

What is your monitor resolution?

What motherboard do you have and what BIOS version do you have installed?

Do you have the MOST recent chipset drivers from Intel installed for your motherboard?

Have you tried doing a CLEAN install of the latest Nvidia drivers using the Display driver uninstaller (DDU from Wagnard tools)?

Put your msconfig settings back the way they were. Those are not the problem and should never be touched except for a few very specific troubleshooting problems.

Sep 8, 2019
I usually use medium to high settings.
Its a 1920x1080 at 144hz.
I know for certain that my chip is up to date.
However, I placed my msconfig settings to the way they were, in doing so, only one core was being used. Having a heavy impact on my pc. Im an idiot, and know currently doing a system restore to hopefully bring it back.
ASUS ROG STRIX H270F GAMING... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N1PND67?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share
^that is my motherboard - for got to include it.
(Dont worry about the msconfig problem, im just an idiot and its back to its old self, still having the 99% CPU thing)

A 1080 Ti is a rather powerful graphics card capable of running games well at much higher resolutions like 1440p and above, and at a somewhat lower resolution like 1080p, you will in many cases be limited by the performance of your CPU more than anything.

Each frame, the CPU has to perform various calculations in a game, including things like AI, physics, sound processing and general game logic. Meanwhile, the GPU is in charge of rendering the image to display on your screen. When one gets its work done quicker than the other, it will need to wait before starting work on the next frame. So, at a somewhat lower resolution, a high-end graphics card like that is more likely to finish rendering a frame before the CPU is ready with the next one. So the graphics card may end up sitting around waiting for the processor much of the time. This is essentially a "bottleneck", though it's worth noting that the amount of "bottlenecking" that occurs will vary from game to game depending on how demanding they are on the CPU and GPU, and all systems will experience this to some degree. A game that's more demanding on the graphics card or less demanding on the CPU could see higher GPU utilization.

As long as the performance is fine, it's not exactly a problem, though it does mean you could have probably gotten away with a less high-end graphics card for 1080p, at least for that game, which is fairly demanding on the CPU. Of course, you mention "usually using medium to high settings", which is completely unnecessary when your performance is CPU-bound, as it clearly is in that game. Turning the settings up all the way to "ultra" in a game like that will give your graphics card more work to do, increasing utilization, and shouldn't affect performance much, as graphics settings typically have minimal effect on CPU load. Since that graphics card is arguably a bit overkill for 1080p in most current games, you might as well make make use of that underutilized performance by cranking up the settings and making things look a bit nicer.

Reactions: Nickyxm
Solution