Question CPU is running hot and sometimes overheats. How to fix ?

Apr 23, 2022
����������������������
AMD Ryzen 7 3rd Gen Gaming1
Limited Time Offer[$9] - iBUYPOWER MEK 3 RGB Mechanical Gaming Keyboard [Blue Switches] ($49 Value) - RGB Customizeable LED Backlight Keys
Limited Time Offer[$5] - 6.6 ft. HDMI to HDMI Cable ($15 Value)
CaseGAMDIAS TALOS M1B ARGB Gaming Case
Case Fans3x [ARGB] InWin 120mm Jupiter AJ120 Pack w/ARGB Controller
Case LightingiBUYPOWER RGB Lighting - [FREE] 1 RGB Lighting Strip
ProcessorAMD Ryzen 7 3700X Processor (8x 3.6GHZ/32MB L3 Cache)
Processor CoolingiBUYPOWER 240mm Addressable RGB Liquid Cooling System - White
Memory16 GB [8 GB X2] DDR4-3000 Memory Module - G.SKILL Ripjaws V
Video CardNVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 - 6GB GDDR6 (VR-Ready)
Game Bundle[FREE Game] - Get Assasin's Creed: Valhalla - w/ Purchase of AMD Ryzen 7 or Ryzen 9 Processors
MotherboardMSI X570-A PRO -- Gb Lan, ARGB Header (2), USB 3.2 (6 Rear, 4 Front)
Power Supply700 Watt - High Power - 80 PLUS Gold
Advanced Cabling OptionsiBUYPOWER Exclusive RGB Cable Combs + [White] Sleeved Extension Cables (Include Professional Wiring)
Primary Hard Drive250 GB Samsung 860 EVO SSD -- Read: 550MB/s, Write: 520MB/s - Single Drive
Secondary Hard Drive1 TB Seagate Barracuda Hard Drive -- 64MB Cache, 7200RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive
Sound Card3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
Network CardASUS PCE-AC58BT AC2100 Wireless Network Card 802.11ac Dual-Band (2.4GHz/5 GHz) up to 1733 Mbps
Operating SystemWindows 10 Home - (64-bit)
Monitor27" [1920 x 1080] ASUS VA27EHE Eye Care Monitor - 75Hz, Adaptive-Sync, Low Blue Light - Single Monitor
KeyboardiBUYPOWER ARES M2 Gaming Keyboard
MouseiBUYPOWER Gaming Optical Mouse - Multi-Color LED Lighting
Advanced Build Options - Thermal PasteThermaltake TG-7 Thermal Grease

Those are the specs for my compute I bought in august of 2020.
I cant seem to figure out why it is running hot. I have changed the thermal paste and used the same brand you see up top.(no change)
There is no dust.
I have checked the fans all seem to be working fine.
I have plenty of storage I have a 7 or 8TB hard drive I added aswell.
I have used the computer normally never over clocked or anything. I'm still new and learning about PC's.
The liquid cooler seems to be working it has one tube that is warm and the other is neutral. One tube is definitely warmer than the other.
All the other temp readings are in the low 30s to 43 celcius. GPU is the next highest at 43c
I need help to figure out what is wrong. Im guessing I have faulty equipment.
Please let me know if you have any thoughts as to what causing the CPU to be hot.

Hi I3RYAIVT (y) and Welcome to the Forum :D

Thermaltake TG-7 has a thermal conductivity rating of 3.3 Wm/k which is essentially crap!!!!. Clean it off using Isopropyl Alcohol at 95% and reapply a decent compound sparingly.

A decent thermal compound is above 8 Wm/k such as MX4, AS5 or thermal grizzly kryanaut.
You need to stress test to determine the CPU max temperature at the die and under load using HWinfo64. You can stress the system using AIDA64 for 20mins which is free for a month and results can be analyzed here if you wish.

Replace your thermal compound with one of the above, then test your thermals. Check that your not going to void your Warranty.

The liquid cooler seems to be working it has one tube that is warm and the other is neutral. One tube is definitely warmer than the other.
That means AIO is failing/has failed. Both tubes should be the same temperature.
Either cpu block has clogged or pump is failing.

Replace AIO with a good air cooler.

Expect cpu block look like this inside:

download.axd

That means AIO is failing/has failed. Both tubes should be the same temperature.
Either cpu block has clogged or pump is failing.

Replace AIO with a good air cooler.

Why change the AIO water cooler for a less efficient bulky- ugly air cooler? When it may be repaired? Lets see.

I have seen a vid of a repair that was done and if it is the argb model.

Here is the Youtube vid.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFnigQwDMWA

The pic you displayed is not from an iBUYPOWER 240mm. (I'm sure you'll have an answer)

Apr 23, 2022
Why change the AIO water cooler for a less efficient bulky- ugly air cooler? When it may be repaired? Lets see.

I have seen a vid of a repair that was done and if it is the argb model.

Here is the Youtube vid.
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PFnigQwDMWA

The pic you displayed is not from an iBUYPOWER 240mm. (I'm sure you'll have an answer)
I didnt have a picture I have the specs and changed nothing. I only added the extra hard drive. I still have the warranty and I will probably have them swap out the liquid cooler after reading your responses. If the next cooler doesnt last very long I might switch to an air cooler but I do like the liquid cool and if you have any recommendations I might upgrade.

I didnt have a picture I have the specs and changed nothing. I only added the extra hard drive. I still have the warranty and I will probably have them swap out the liquid cooler after reading your responses. If the next cooler doesnt last very long I might switch to an air cooler but I do like the liquid cool and if you have any recommendations I might upgrade.

Well yes there are better AIOs for sure than what you have.

I like those AIOs developed by ASATEK and have installed quite a few.
Corsair have a good selection and I would recommend a CORSAIR iCUE H115i ELITE CAPELLI X. If it will fit your case so I will check. This cooler has twin 140mm ML fans and a 280mm rad which will suit your systems Overclocking potential.

Your Mid Tower GAMDIAS Talos Case will fit the above fine.

Last edited:
Apr 23, 2022
Well yes there are better AIOs for sure than what you have.

I like those AIOs developed by ASATEK and have installed quite a few.
Corsair have a good selection and I would recommend a CORSAIR iCUE H115i ELITE CAPELLI X. If it will fit your case so I will check. This cooler has twin 140mm ML fans and a 280mm rad which will suit your systems Overclocking potential.

Your Mid Tower GAMDIAS Talos Case will fit the above fine.
Thank you I appriciate the feedback