Question CPU is thermal throttling a lot on Asus laptop ?

pcloverbutnomoney

Prominent
Nov 15, 2020
So I got this 1 year old laptop Asus G732lxs with i9 10980hk processor and 2080 super. It thermal throttles even in idle also temps are fluctuating way quicker like for 1 sec and next sec it's 93 C and then next sec it drops to 60 while the clock speed fluctuating too much. I think this model came with liquid metal and I don't know why it is behaving like this, I don't know how it ran for the past year but the usage is not that high tho (got it from my bro). Thermal throttling happens even if the CPU usage was just around 10% in any games. After 10 mins of gaming it always above 93 C sometimes 97 C. But the GPU was sitting only around 70 C even in full load (2010 MHz or 1900 ish). What would be the case and any possible solution? I highly appreciate your help Thanks.

EDIT: It thermal throttles even if the clock speed was 2.6 Ghz or under 2.9 GHz (95 C or 97 during gaming)
I even tried disabling 4 cores for test but it's the same case, unfortunately. But at least with 4 cores only the clock speed was above 4 GHz during stress test in XTU but 93 - 96 C sadly. Do you think it may require TIM reapplication? or something I read somewhere that liquid metal laptops may require reapplications after sometime ?

Sounds like a partially or fully blocked intake port for the cooling system. I would take the laptop apart and inspect the cooling system for blockage or a failed fan. If the cooling system is in good shape then you might want to replace the thermal paste while it's open.

Investing in an actively ventilated laptop stand should also help keep temps under control.

pcloverbutnomoney

Prominent
Nov 15, 2020
Actually the fans run great I put my hand in front of air vent and throughput was so good and I can confirm it's not clogged at all. Nice airflow overall. This case happens even with a 6000 RPM manual profile and I'm pretty sure the fan pulls and throws 6000 RPM worth of AIR and I lifted the laptop with a cooling pad and the intakes are clear and no blocked by anything.