[SOLVED] cpu issue

Sep 7, 2021
I was wondering what to do, I have an acer nitro 5 with an i7-10750h, gtx 1660ti and 16gb of ram. When the cpu hits 70% utilization after about one minute the clock speed plummets, this is with good temps, average of 65 max of 72.

Solution
@hamletrules The 10750H needs 80W to 90W to run at full speed when fully loaded. This CPU has a 45W TDP rating. Intel designed this CPU so long term, it is forced to slow down so it does not exceed 45W.

Some laptop manufacturers have decided to ignore the 45W recommendation. They provide adequate cooling and allow the CPU to consume as much power as it wants.

Acer has decided to enforce the long term 45W limit. This can significantly reduce performance and there is nothing you can do about it.

Try running ThrottleStop.
https://www.techpowerup.com/download/techpowerup-throttlestop/

Turn on the Log File option and go play a game for at least 15 minutes. When finished testing, exit ThrottleStop so it can finalize your log...

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Sounds like it's behaving according to the Intel-defined specs for PL2(Turbo Boost) and Tau(duration), which for a cpu like that, is 56 secs - so it lines up with the one minute description.

Depending on the kind of workload being done, the cpu will either:
-run the entire duration of its Tau, after which it will sit at PL1 until the task is finished.
-frequently get reset before Tau can expire, thus PL2 runs seemingly forever.

@hamletrules The 10750H needs 80W to 90W to run at full speed when fully loaded. This CPU has a 45W TDP rating. Intel designed this CPU so long term, it is forced to slow down so it does not exceed 45W.

Some laptop manufacturers have decided to ignore the 45W recommendation. They provide adequate cooling and allow the CPU to consume as much power as it wants.

Acer has decided to enforce the long term 45W limit. This can significantly reduce performance and there is nothing you can do about it.

Turn on the Log File option and go play a game for at least 15 minutes. When finished testing, exit ThrottleStop so it can finalize your log file. It will be in your ThrottleStop / Logs folder. Copy and paste the data to www.pastebin.com and post a link so I can have a look.

Some throttling is normal, some throttling is not. A log file will show what type of throttling your CPU is using and what speed and temperature the CPU is running at. Also post some screenshots of ThrottleStop so I can see how your computer is setup.

Reactions: CompuTronix
Solution
Sep 7, 2021

Turn on the Log File option and go play a game for at least 15 minutes. When finished testing, exit ThrottleStop so it can finalize your log file. It will be in your ThrottleStop / Logs folder. Copy and paste the data to www.pastebin.com and post a link so I can have a look.

Some throttling is normal, some throttling is not. A log file will show what type of throttling your CPU is using and what speed and temperature the CPU is running at. Also post some screenshots of ThrottleStop so I can see how your computer is setup.

I have tried running throttlestop in the past, and have noticed that in the first day or so, everything works great but proceeding this whilst the clockspeeds are ok and the temps are good performance feels generally worse, also on the same programs when I first got my computer cpu usage was far lower, also my ram is capable of exceeding 50% but never does. Thanks for the help, means alot.

I see many complaints about gaming laptops not performing well.
Usually gaming while plugged in.
One common cause is thermal throttling.
Laptop coolers must, of necessity be small and light.
They are also relatively underpowered.
If you run an app such as HWMonitor or HWinfo, you will get the current, minimum, and maximum cpu temperatures.
For intel processors, if you see a max of 100c. it means you have throttled.
The cpu will lower it's multiplier and power draw to protect itself
until the situation reverses.
At a lower multiplier, your cpu usage may well be at 100%
What can you do?
First, see that your cooler airways are clear and that the cooler fan is spinning.

It is counter-intuitive, but, try changing the windows power profile advanced functions to a max of 90% instead of the default of 100%
You may not notice the reduced cpu performance.

Reactions: SamirD
Sep 7, 2021
I have noticed recently if I play a game, whilst my temps are good even at about 50% utilization after 1-2 hrs my cpu downclocks regardless of my temps, I have tried undervolting with throttlestop recently. i7-10750h, 1660ti 16gb ram acer nitro 5.
Is it possible that a fresh reset of windows with a different acc could fix this issue? Thanks

@hamletrules - I am still waiting to see some screenshots of how you have ThrottleStop setup and a log file that shows the throttling problems that you are having. How can anyone help you solve your problem without any data?

The log file keeps track of any reasons for throttling and a whole lot more. Check the Nvidia GPU box in the Options window so your Nvidia GPU temperature and MHz are included in the log file.