Cpu keeps jumping up to 100% while gaming

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

cloudxblue

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
I've just now noticed this, so far it's happened with the Sims 3 alot... Built the computer last February without playing a game cpu is around 17 and then while playing the Sims around 30 then out of no where jumps to 100 and crashes the game or whole system to where I have to a hard shutdown or it tells me something happened and I have to restart my system.

So far last time I tried to play the Sims I played 3 minutes not including the loading untill it crashed my whole system. Does anyone know what this could be

Solution

Those are nice specs, but im sure the sims shouldnt be maxing your cpu usage.
Is the sims the only thing that is maxing your usage?
To be honest, im not an expert so i can only give you so many answers.
1. Run other programs and track their usage (to see if we can rule out that it is just the sims)
2. Download HWmonitor and check your temp while on the sims
3. When you said before "it tells me something happened and I have to restart my system" What exactly does it say?
4. When EXACTLY did this start happening?

cloudxblue

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013

No I'm on the computer everyday I just played Southpark for 3 hours plus 4 other games seems like Sims crashes when I click the fastest speed

cloudxblue

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013

No I'm on the computer everyday I just played Southpark for 3 hours plus 4 other games seems like Sims crashes when I click the fastest speed