[SOLVED] CPU L3 cache and GPU Vulkan question

SANTACLOWN

Prominent
Sep 19, 2019
If a laptop has a processor with L3 cache

(for example, i5 3320m on T430 laptop),

and it has a dedicated gpu on the motherboard
(Nvidia NVS 5200m, the graphics card doesn't have a vulkan)

will the dedicated nvidia gpu still share or help the i5 processor with its memory ?

Last edited:
Solution

and it has a dedicated gpu

will the dedicated nvidia gpu still share or help the i5 processor with its memory ?

I'm not really sure I understand your question? L3 cache on the CPU improves CPU performance. With regards to the GPU, what do you mean 'help the i5 processor with it's memory'?

The GPU is a separate processor that is tuned for parallel processing tasks (which CPU's aren't good at) - typically this is accelerating 3D graphics either in games or CAD applications, however the GPU can also be used in certain other bits of software to perform tasks where...

and it has a dedicated gpu

I'm not really sure I understand your question? L3 cache on the CPU improves CPU performance. With regards to the GPU, what do you mean 'help the i5 processor with it's memory'?

The GPU is a separate processor that is tuned for parallel processing tasks (which CPU's aren't good at) - typically this is accelerating 3D graphics either in games or CAD applications, however the GPU can also be used in certain other bits of software to perform tasks where it is best suited (for example video editing software can usually use the GPU to boost export speed over just using the cpu). As it's a separate chip from the cpu it has it's own memory which is used specifically for things the GPU is doing. The CPU can't use the GPU memory pool for doing CPU tasks so the memory on the GPU doesn't count as ram for the cpu.

Solution