[SOLVED] CPU leaking?

Aug 27, 2020
Okay hello everyone I hope this is right place to post please forgive if not. Okay so I got to strix 470 f gaming 64gb vengeance rgb pro ram and dual msi 100me limited edition 4gb gtx 970 1050w psu Corsair water cooling dual 120mm fans 4 fans total is case with ryzen 7 2700x

Okay so gaming on it for about a week and half running smoothly playing cod watching temps and my CPU sky rockets to mid 70s I flicked psu offwaited 15 minutes then opened case checked water in my cooler to make sure everything looked good so bored to bios soon as I reach the monitor screen and check temps my CPU already at 68 so I flick psu off again ripped PC apart pulled CPU cleaned the spot CPU goes on and cleaned CPU with q tip and rubbing achole to take extra thermal paste off put it back it had same issue so I Google if it was okay to run CPU under water to clean it Google said yes so I did to make sure I didn't have a piece of hair or something stoping connection after I put it in I boot notice I don't have no display so I checked cable's everything was good EVERYTHING was good inside and out so I checked gpu good bought Asus prime Mobo bran new out the box same thing as rog ok I figured dead CPU I noticed some of the sticky stuff on topside of CPU was missing and I'm sure water got in it a tore it up but I guess my question here is can I fix it ? I'm a poor guy family of 4 can't afford new CPU yet alone two more gpus I tore my PC up trying to figure this issue out took me little over a week to notice the clear small spot of glue missing on CPU so I ran it under water again dried it off wait about half HR with CPU under house fan to be sure it was dry put it in and no display and it started leaki g I however thought right away it was the CPU and not my mess up turns out it was water coming from CPU between pins and top side of CPU is been 4 days I've let it sit should I test or should I take it apart? Or think some kind of heat glue wood fix my issue please help I need my peace of mind thank you in advanced

Solution
As you noted, water got behind the heatspreader. Even when the leaking stops some will remain. Do not try taking it apart as the heat spreader is soldered to the CPU die. Even expert 'de-lidders', with proper desoldering equipment, can damage the die trying to remove it.

I don't know what you have planned with the wood glue...but it won't work.

If you've not damaged anything else the fix is pretty easy...dry out the CPU. Put in an oven set on lowest temperature...something like 170F-190F; 75C-90C. Leave it in there several hours, maybe overnight. It's very tolerant of temperature when not operating.

It can easily handle even up to 115C if needed, but I think 90C max is just better and should do the job. Also, 100C or above may...
Aug 27, 2020
Yes correct washed as in I ran water threw the pins with spray to make sure I got it clean lol my first build and too a huge hit two gpus and CPU I've figured out CPU was dead but Google said it was ok and I wanted expert advice cus I've done it on ddr3 set up and it worked long ago. But thank you got some yard work? Lol

As you noted, water got behind the heatspreader. Even when the leaking stops some will remain. Do not try taking it apart as the heat spreader is soldered to the CPU die. Even expert 'de-lidders', with proper desoldering equipment, can damage the die trying to remove it.

I don't know what you have planned with the wood glue...but it won't work.

If you've not damaged anything else the fix is pretty easy...dry out the CPU. Put in an oven set on lowest temperature...something like 170F-190F; 75C-90C. Leave it in there several hours, maybe overnight. It's very tolerant of temperature when not operating.

It can easily handle even up to 115C if needed, but I think 90C max is just better and should do the job. Also, 100C or above may coax the water trapped in substrate layers to flash into steam; steam occupies over 600 times the volume of water and that expansion could damage the CPU.

Another and even more gentle way to dry it out is with a big bag of dessicant or several smaller ones. Put it (new and fresh) and the CPU inside a zip loc bag and zip it up, and inside another and zip it up. Let them sit together for a week or two. It takes longer, but it's very effective.

Last edited:
Solution
Aug 27, 2020
You guys are fantastic thank you all for the help the oven did the trick pulled it out over loved the pins to make sure it was good let it cool down and sit over night put it in this morning and flawless however I did not replace the glue or gel stuff missing on cpu I left it alone but temps are idle at 60 in bios but I'm sure that's my ddr3 water cooling not seated properly on my ddr4 set up lol thanks guys much appreciated you saved the kids another day lol

Aug 27, 2020
its clear i believe from what it looks liek but i could be wrong however this my first time building a pc. but it seems to be working okay i did not replace the glue or compound with anything