Question CPU LED turns red and DRAM LED turns orange on brand new MSI motherboard

Aug 9, 2022
Hello everyone.

I just bought all the components for a full brand new computer, the list is as follows.

Motherboardmsi mag h670 tomahawk wifi ddr4
GPUGeforce RTX 3060 Ti VENTUS 2x 8G OCV1 LHR
DisplayG-Master G2560HSU-B3
SSDCrucial SSD 1TB p2 CT1000P2SSD8JP
PSURM750x 2021 Cp-9020199-JP
HDDseagate barracuda ST2000DM008 (2TB)
CPUintel core i5-12600 BX8071512600
Casemsi gungnir 110R white (ATX)
KeyboardRazer BlackWidow X Chroma Mercury edition[RZ03-01762000-R3M1
MemoryCorsair RAM CMG16GX4M2E3200C16 (DDR4 PC4-25600 8GB 2 slots)

After building my computer and trying the first boot, the motherboard debuging LED indicated a problem.
Basically the CPU LED goes REd and after few second turns off for the DRAM LED to turn orange, then turns off and that start over again.
I have been through pretty much all of the basics to check on when building a new computer but can't find where the issue is...

For your understanding, I live in Japan and my compnents are thus Japanese.

If you have any idea of a new way I should explore to make my computer boot it would save me !

Thanks for reading me.

Is the 8 pin cpu EPS lead connected?

Is the cpu cooler fan connected to the cpu fan header?
A motherboard will not start unless there is a cooler; detected by sensing a cpu fan running at 500 rpm.

A more serious possibility is that you damaged a cpu socket pin.
That is all too easy to do if you smooshed the cpu around to seat it in the socket.
It needs to be dropped in cleanly.
If you see a damaged pin, you may be able to bend it back in position with a needle.

Reactions: Amaiell
Aug 9, 2022
Is the 8 pin cpu EPS lead connected?

Is the cpu cooler fan connected to the cpu fan header?
A motherboard will not start unless there is a cooler; detected by sensing a cpu fan running at 500 rpm.

A more serious possibility is that you damaged a cpu socket pin.
That is all too easy to do if you smooshed the cpu around to seat it in the socket.
It needs to be dropped in cleanly.
If you see a damaged pin, you may be able to bend it back in position with a needle.

Thank you for your reply !

Yes the CPU EPS lead are connected. Actually my mother board has 16 pins for the CPU energy supplys so I plugged two 8 pin head EPS lead for that. I hope it is OK to do that.

Yes, CPU fan is connected to CPU_FAN header,

I saw many people talking about the CPU bent pin situation. That is unclear for me, it is about the pins on the motherboard CPU soket right ?

Dec 9, 2022
Thank you for your reply !

Yes the CPU EPS lead are connected. Actually my mother board has 16 pins for the CPU energy supplys so I plugged two 8 pin head EPS lead for that. I hope it is OK to do that.

Yes, CPU fan is connected to CPU_FAN header,

I saw many people talking about the CPU bent pin situation. That is unclear for me, it is about the pins on the motherboard CPU soket right ?
Any update regarding your situation? I am in the same position as you and have tried all the possible solutions people here tried to help you with.