Question CPU Light On - No Display

Jmunk

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2015
Was running my MSI H510i w/ a 1060 as a streaming PC build just fine - decided to swap in the 3080 GPU I had around for NVENC encoding.
Swapped the board and all components (intact) to a full tower case that would accommodate the much bigger 3080.
Go to power it up, lights turn on, all fans spin, GPU lights up - but no display.
I power down, swap out cables to another monitor - now the CPU light on the board is lit, still no display.

I've tried:
  • GPU swap (3080 and 1060 both had light on, no change)
  • PSU swap, both PSU showed light, no display
  • Cables/Monitors - three different monitors, few different cables, no dice
  • RAM - took out on stick, and both sticks, still nothing. Light on, no display.

reset BIOS
replace cmos battery
which CPU is it?
take out the motherboard and try powering on on a non conducting surface

check if ATX12V / EPS power is plugged into the motherboard as well and not only the ATX power connector

which cpu is it?

did you plug in the video cable into the GPU and not the motherboard?

reseat the CPU

Jmunk

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2015
reset BIOS
replace cmos battery
which CPU is it?
take out the motherboard and try powering on on a non conducting surface

check if ATX12V / EPS power is plugged into the motherboard as well and not only the ATX power connector

which cpu is it?

did you plug in the video cable into the GPU and not the motherboard?

reseat the CPU
By resetting BIOS, you mean take out the CMOS battery, hold power button, and then replace CMOS battery?
CPU is i7 10700.
Will try removing motherboard from case and powering on wood table.
Not sure what you mean by this, but I have the 8pin ATX cable plugged in on the top left of the board, running directly into the PSU.
Yes, I plugged cable into GPU (but also tried on-board port as well)

Last edited:
EPS/12V ATX: yes the 8pin CPU power plug and the 24pin main power plug on the motherboard
reset BIOS by jumper (disconnect power from the wall and connect the two pins of the CMOS reset for a view seconds, read the manual how to)