CPU making games stutter.

DrowningMoose

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013
Alright, here's my problem.

When I play a game, say... a source game while having Google Chrome on my second monitor playing a video, My game begins to make very quick small stutters that happen every second continuously. When I pause the video or close the browser and tab back into my game the stutters disappear and my game runs smooth. I began to think the cause is coming from CPU and I still believe that's true, but I would like to make sure that's what it is. If you can confirm this or possibly give me another reason for my stutter as well as the solution that would be great. Thank you.

i5 2500k
EVGA GTX 780
MSI Z77A G45 Gaming
Corsair 750 watt
16 gigs G. Skill Ripjaws X

DrowningMoose

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013

I already have this program and I also forgot to mention that I use a corsair H80i water cooler so my temps are around 40 and below when playing.

mgolus

Honorable
Apr 25, 2012
I would be quicker to blame the problem on either Chrome, or Adobe Flash (if the website you are playing video on uses a flash based player.) Chrome and Flash both by default offload video decoding to your GPU and your CPU should be more than sufficient to handle the scenario that you are describing.

You can try disabling hardware acceleration in Chrome by going to the url "chrome://flags" in a new tab. Search for the setting called "Disable hardware-accelerated video decode" and click "Enable" (the setting name and the button name seem backwards...). Also if the website is using a flash video player, try right clicking on the video, go to Settings, and on the Display tab, uncheck the box that says "Enable hardware acceleration."

DrowningMoose

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013

I did everything you suggested but none of them worked I still stutter.

Mciahel

Honorable
Jul 26, 2013

Yeah I do that and it doesn't happen to me lol.

Tesla_Whizz

Reputable
Apr 22, 2014
Hey guys

Can you guys check out my thread on my pc build. I need some help choosing the specs. I have posted some specs that I have thought of getting. All I ant is a few minutes of your time please. Any advice/critiques is welcome.

Thanks

DrowningMoose

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013

Damn this is really annoying.

DrowningMoose

Honorable
Sep 12, 2013

i just received a brand new 780 just about a week ago for the exact problem but it didn't seem to help. So I believe the GPU couldn't be the culprit.