Question CPU maximum memory transfer rates ---- what do they mean ?

ubuysa

Distinguished
Both Intel and AMD publish DDR4 and DDR5 maximum memory transfer rates (in MT/s) for their CPUs. An example for the Intel i9-14900K is below (in the Memory Types field)...

UbwsURC.jpg

What exactly do these values mean? I know that many users exceed these memory transfer rates with no issues, I've seen 6000MHz DDR5 RAM used successfully with the i9-14900K for example.

Note that 6000MHz DDR5 is clocked at 3000MHz of course, which is why Intel uses MT/s - Mega Transfers per second - because it's a more accurate measure of transfer rate than MHz, so what we call 6000MHz DDR5 RAM is more accurately 6000MT/s RAM clocked at 3000MHz.

My gut feeling is that these specified values may be the highest memory transfer rate that is guaranteed to be stable, but does anyone know whether or not that's true? If not, then what do these values mean and what should they be used for?

Lutfij

Titan
The number you're seeing that's listed on Intel's website are for stock settings(not overclocked). When you set the memory to a number above, say, DDR5-4800MHz, you're overclocking the ram and also adding stress to the memory controller, which back in the day was known as the northbridge.