CPU,MB selecting factors?

Hi
Do know any paper which outlines the performace of different CPUs and
compare them to each other. Is there anything like for the
motherboards.

In another word, I would like to know how you decide which CPU and
MotherBoard you are going to pick when you build computers for
differents purpose?? for example if you want to build a computer for
web surfing and office, which process you would think it is good for
this computer? why AMD not Intel or vise-versa? Which motherboard will
go with it?? Why Asus not MSI for example. I know the price would be a
factor but I want to know other facters too.

Thanks again for your help in advance. The people in this NG are so
amazing and been great too me. I am greatful.

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 08:57:01 -0700, esara wrote:

> Hi
> Do know any paper which outlines the performace of different CPUs and
> compare them to each other. Is there anything like for the
> motherboards.

There are many websites that compare the cpu's, MB's, etc. anandtech,
tomshardware, etc.

> In another word, I would like to know how you decide which CPU and
> MotherBoard you are going to pick when you build computers for
> differents purpose?? for example if you want to build a computer for web
> surfing and office, which process you would think it is good for this
> computer? why AMD not Intel or vise-versa? Which motherboard will go
> with it?? Why Asus not MSI for example. I know the price would be a
> factor but I want to know other facters too.

Web surfing and office apps don't really require much cpu power. About any
system would work fine. AMD would be my choice simply because you would
get more bang for the buck. Especially when not at the cutting edge. As
for a MB, take your pick. NF2 400 or SIS 748 chipset. ASrock K7S8XE+ would
probably be my choice. Cheap, very stable, decent features. CPU, probably
a 2500+ XP. PC3700 ram. That should allow you to clock it to 3200+
(2200MHz) or higher speeds.