Question CPU memory usage high

fishindamarket

Reputable
Feb 24, 2021
Hi everyone,

i'm a newbie when it comes to computers so excuse my stupid questions.
My desktop is running very heavy on memory. You can hear the fan or something inside cycling up and running hard, then shutting down.

I'm running 4x 4k monitors and mainly use it for trading using the ThinkorSwim platform.

My computer specs are

Intel Core i7-8700
32gb Ram
Windows 10 64-bit
Radeon RX 580
2tb SSD

I'm hoping someone can help me solve this problem to fix and help it run smooth - there is a lag sometimes on programs or just in general when memory is running high.
Let me know what else i can provide to help diagnose the issue.

thanks in advance to anyone trying to help!

Oct 13, 2021
Hi everyone,

i'm a newbie when it comes to computers so excuse my stupid questions.
My desktop is running very heavy on memory. You can hear the fan or something inside cycling up and running hard, then shutting down.

I'm running 4x 4k monitors and mainly use it for trading using the ThinkorSwim platform.

My computer specs are

Intel Core i7-8700
32gb Ram
Windows 10 64-bit
Radeon RX 580
2tb SSD

I'm hoping someone can help me solve this problem to fix and help it run smooth - there is a lag sometimes on programs or just in general when memory is running high.
Let me know what else i can provide to help diagnose the issue.

thanks in advance to anyone trying to help!
Disable things that use RAM that you don't need. If you want, you can adjust DRAM timings and some BIOS settings, but considering what I interpret as you thinking that the memory has a fan, I'm not sure if the advanced BIOS is the right place for you to meddle right now.

The easiest thing you can do is check if you have XMP active in the BIOS. This is basically overclocking 101 and it's very simple to set up.

Ralston18

Titan
Not a stupid question - something may well be astray and fixing that may save your system.

Try to identify the fan or something that is making the sound, cycling, etc.. The source: PSU, GPU, CPU (fan), etc...

Questions:

First what PSU is installed - make, model, wattage, age, condition?

Second are you using this GPU?

https://www.amd.com/en/products/graphics/radeon-rx-580

Third, how are you connecting the four monitors - are you also using motherboard integrated video ports? What physical connections are being used between host computer and monitors? Ports and cables? Any adapters?

Look in Task Manager and Resource Monitor to determine what is consuming system memory.

My immediate thought is that the PSU may not be up to the task.

The recommended PSU wattage for the RX 580 alone is 500 watts.