Question CPU Mhz drops when gaming

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Cebiri

Honorable
Mar 23, 2016
So in windows and everywear outside of gaming my mhz stays at 4600 ( default clock ) like it should, but entering a game it starts dropping down by coupple 100's.
This started today randomly after for hours trying to solve my pcs fps drops.
Cstats are dissabled in bios, and windows power plan is set to 100% on the prefformance.
i also tried to pure clock the cpu to 4600 dissabeling turbo boosts but nothing works.
Furthermore whenever i try to toggle hyperthreading on and off, while on in windows it still shows 8 cores, while before when it was on, it showed only 4.
But the setting says its on in bios..

Whats going on?

still drops 300 mhz
At default settings, it is normal for the CPU to slow down when all 8 cores are active. If you want it to maintain the full 4600 MHz then you will need to set that in the BIOS. That is called an all core overclock. It looks like you do not have adequate cooling for that so I would not bother.

The ThrottleStop FIVR window will show you what your turbo ratios are set to.

Prime 95 is an excessive test. Try running something a little more realistic like Cinebench.

If you do not want your CPU getting so hot, you will need to lower your turbo power limits to less than 200 watts. Your CPU will throttle and slow down so it does not exceed whatever power limit you choose.