CPU + Motherboard Replacement Help.

raymondang15

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013
Coming from a GA78LMTS2 + AMD 6100 to an i7 3770k + Z77AGD65

Okay.. Correct me if I'm wrong:
After installing the new CPU+MB, I should be able to turn on my computer and get to my desktop?
If it prompts an activation key insertion, I will have to go to Microsoft and purchase myself a new key, or can I call MS to unlock it?
If it doesn't prompt an activation key insertion, I am good to go?
If it doesn't boot, I need to boot from a Windows installation CD or what? I don't get "if it doesn't "boot.""

mc962

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
Don't forget the cpu cooler of course, that would be bad.
I believe it depends on which OS you are using. I don't know for sure but I thought I heard that 7 was locked to the old hardware and 8 could be moved. However, it doesnt really hurt to call microsoft and check.
If it doesn't prompt you (which it should) then you will need to put it in eventually regardless.
Since you are installing the fresh os to the hard drive you want to boot from whatever contains the media with the OS on it, either a USB stick or, more likely, an installation cd. To do this you go into the bios and switch the boot order to whatever contains the media (such as to the optical drive for a disc). That board has UEFI BIOS if i remember right so if it's anything like the asus uefi then that should be insanely easy (I just dragged the disc icon and placed it before my hdd) From there it will boot into the windows installer, which will proceed install using whatever options you tell it to. Let it install like any regular program and then you are good to go.

raymondang15

Honorable
Sep 11, 2013

I have windows 8, if it doesn't work and requires a new OS, can I just boot the CD from that "press any key to boot from this CD" option when I turn it on?

mc962

Honorable
Jul 18, 2013
For a fresh installation? Yes, you would boot from the cd, but you want to change the boot order to the optical drive so you can boot from there and install the data on that disc.
Unless you meant taking a hard drive from an old computer with an OS preinstalled and shoving it into a new computer without any reinstalling whatsoever? I don't know whether it's possible or not, it's not something i've ever experimented with. However, I think it would be best to just back up your data somewhere external, do a fresh install, then move your files back. It might potentially take a fair amount of time, but I feel like it might be less of a hassle.