[SOLVED] Cpu never exceeds 40c

May 7, 2020
I5 6600k on a gigabyte z170 gaming 3 with hyper t4.

Under full load during a bench, my cpu reports that it never gets hotter than 40c. The heat pipes don't even feel warm at all, even at the base. Never overclocked.
Taskman reports all 4 cores jump to 100% during the bench.
Am I lucky, or am I missing something?

Solution
If you wana know whats going on, I suggest you donwload the portable (zip) version of hwmonitor or hwinfo, and use it to not only check temps (both have a MAX column values which can be used to keep track of the max velues) but the boost frecuency of the CPU under single or all-core workloads.

For testing you could use as a benchmark Cinebench R20, which can be run on 1 core or all-cores.

According to intels.ark (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-6600k-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-90-ghz.html) your CPU should have a single core frecuency of ~3.9GHz, and all cores frecuency is usaully lower (200~300MHz less) so around 3.6~3.7GHz.

Important thing: when using hwmonitor or hwinfo, or for that...
If you wana know whats going on, I suggest you donwload the portable (zip) version of hwmonitor or hwinfo, and use it to not only check temps (both have a MAX column values which can be used to keep track of the max velues) but the boost frecuency of the CPU under single or all-core workloads.

For testing you could use as a benchmark Cinebench R20, which can be run on 1 core or all-cores.

According to intels.ark (https://ark.intel.com/content/www/u...-6600k-processor-6m-cache-up-to-3-90-ghz.html) your CPU should have a single core frecuency of ~3.9GHz, and all cores frecuency is usaully lower (200~300MHz less) so around 3.6~3.7GHz.

Important thing: when using hwmonitor or hwinfo, or for that matter any monitoring software, use only 1 of them at the time. Having multiple monitoring software open at the same time can mess up the readings, and give you bad results.

Solution
Check top cpu speed and if bench get results that are expected from this cpu.
you might set some limit in windows to stop at 15% of cpu max speed.

it also depends IF its 40 above ambient or just 40. report the tool used to measure please.

50'ish temps under load steady around 55'ish is common if you have dark rock 4 (or 360 AIO) and cold room.
with 40 I would expect cpu to not boost at least.

May 7, 2020
thanx for the reply. i just got the programs.

before, i was using cpuz and gpuz simultaneously so that may have given a false reading.
now would be a good time to post my rig:

i5 6600k+coolermaster hyper 212EVO
gigabyte z170x gaming 3
hyperx fury 8GB x2 =16GB
Radeon rx 470 4gb
C:\ is toshiba old ssd 128GB
M:\ is 2xWD blue 1TB on raid 1
XFX XTR 750 gold
case is random case i found on the side of the road. holds it all together... it has a chassis fan and everything. no lights. not one. thank you, side of the road.

ill run a bench soon. done: wow, results make me look small compared to the big, long lines there.

during the test, all core frequencies hung around 3599mhz but did touch beyond to 3803 and one core pushed to 3900. i took a screenshot of the CPUID monitor, but im not sure how to upload it...
at any rate, after the Cinebench standard test, package temp got to 42c max, cores 0, 1, 2, 3 got to 42, 41, 32, 34 respectively.
utilization was steady at 100%

interestingly, while typing this, (10 mins after test) the max clocks jumped to the expected 3900mhz. must have been some other process that prompted that.

my IR thermometer says ambient temp is 20.8c on the floor next to my comp.

If those are the readings, then everything seems fine.
With those readings, the Hyper 212 Evo seems to be very well mounted and doing a good job, and you probably have very good airflow on your case too.

So nothing to worry about. Everything seems to be working fine.

May 7, 2020
hah. good airflow, i guess... i have half a case that i found on the road on garbage day. little more than a cardbord box.
I'm amazed that, under full load, my cpu never gets hot. now i want to overclock it just to see if it gets hotter still. thanx for everyone's input.

Reactions: RodroX