Question CPU not boosting to max Core i5-9600K have i made a huge mistake?

likeag6

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
Hello!

My system specs are:
MSI B360M Mortar
Core i5-9600K
Be Quiet! Dark Rock 4 CPU cooling
2x8GB 2666mhz Kingston Hyperx RAM
MSI Gaming X GTX 1660Ti @ 2010mhz
Be Quiet! pure power 11 600w PSU
Kingston 240gb SSD
Toshiba 1TB HDD
Be Quiet! Pure Base 600 case

I just built a new pc, picked the parts out myself but CPU is not boosting to max advertised 4,6ghz it's only reaching 4,295mhz no more than that it,s locked on that when under load.
Or is it just boosting to 4,6ghz on 1 of the 6 cores?
Have i made a grave mistake picking a motherboard that is locked for OC and cannot use CPU's full potential?
CPU temperature with be quiet!'s awesome cooler is sitting comfortably 55-60celsius when gaming and CPU usage on average no more than 50%
I checked through the bios and all CPU related OC features seemed to be locked ( greyed out )
I cannot return the motherboard and switch to a Z390 chipset.
How much am i going to miss out, is it worth to cough up another 200€ for a new motherboard?

Kind regards,
Kristo

likeag6

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2011
To change OC related settings, first you have to set OC Explore mode to Expert.
Then you should be able to turn multi-core enhancement on
(it's called "CPU Ratio Apply Mode" on this board).
Really annoying for me is to get into BIOS, since the boot screen goes by so fast, it doesn't register my button mashing and goes into windows, so i have to disconnect my drives to get into BIOS every time to try a different OC settings, but i digress.
So i tried 4,5 and 4,6 on all cores with the "Per core" tool and increased the voltage to 1,1v and benched it, it performed well but i noticed these micro freezes while benching so i thought, i'd try to go into normal settings again. Reset everything to default, ran the bench again and it also had some micro freezing/stuttering going on so i guess that's normal? If yes then i could easily run it at 4,5 or 4,6 at 1,1v or just go for 1,2v and 4,7 ( from what i read it's max that's possible with this motherboard)
Ran a few benchmarks with AC:Odyssey aswell and that is so CPU heavy, most of the time CPU was 100% on load and GPU 90-100%
OC'd the GPU by 60 mhz and only gained 1 FPS improvement from 57 to 58 avg on the synthetic bench.
In this bench im certain im bottlenecked by CPU