[SOLVED] CPU not reaching Clock Speed

Jun 17, 2020
Watch the, now edited, "colorful" language, please. Thank you.
Hello. I have an i7-9700f @ 3.0 Ghz but it is stuck at 2.79 Ghz. I've checked power plan settings, updated BIOS, reset CMOS, Updated all drivers(several times), everything i can <<Edited by moderator>> think of. Turned intel boost off and back on, changed the power plan of the BIOS itself. Turned XMP on(it was off). This is all new hardware as well. Less than a month old. It works "okay" but for the specs i have it should be performing much better than it is.
Every benchmark, stress test ive run including Cinebench, OCCT, prime95, etc. I'm seeing my cpu sit in the low 40s and ive never seen it about 60. My GPU sits around 50 as well

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 17, 2020
I am using the NH-U12A premium cooler and the BIOS reads at 3.0 Ghz (30x ratio and 100 Mhz BCLK). However CPU-Z is reading it at a 28x multiplier ratio with the correct variable 8 to 47 ratio that intel boost should have available.

Jun 17, 2020
Windows is update to date on all drivers and I used intel driver assistant to get all my drivers in. I just double checked that I had the chipset specifically and with the IDA program and its all up to date.

Jun 17, 2020
I installed XTU like 2-3 days ago to see what it could do but i was looking through intel's info page about it and found that the 9700f isn't a valid CPU for it so i haven't done anything with it. Also, I did just set multicore enhancement on, though it was on auto before.

Jun 17, 2020
I have figured it out! It was in the power plan settings. While i was snooping i found that the minimum processor state was set to 85% and that <<Edited by moderator>> with the speed. for some reason it wouldn't allow turbo to take it anywhere even though the maximum processor state was still 100%. Though I dont notice a large difference in the frames im getting

My PSU is the Corsair 850x so it should have plenty of breathing room on power

Last edited by a moderator:
Jun 17, 2020
Running a benchmark, I only saw an improvement of ~20 percentile. and in game i got about a 15-20 frame boost. still well under what i should be getting at around 90 fps