CPU only using 3% utilization X3440

evmundo

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2013
Hope some one can help, I have a X3440 @ 4 ghz, H55 motherboard, 8GB ram and the PC is running like an AMD laptop (just a joke) . Utilization is about 3-5%.

Chip set has been reinstalled and it takes ages to open any programs it is impossibly slow

Any Ideas guys?

I should say that it runs at 100% using aida64 but but not in any other programs, it took 10 minutes to unzip a small file.

mhtsgr999

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013

Unzipping is a Hard drive related task so it wont put much stress on the CPU.
You will see high CPU usage in CPU dependant games, rendering softwares or the benchmarking softwares.
So I think the 3% CPU usage is normal at idle and that's totally normal as long as your temps are fine.

mhtsgr999

Honorable
Oct 21, 2013

Yes true, my bad that I didnt read the part where he said that the programs take longer than usual to load.

I would reset BIOS on the 1st place and since you have OC'ed too it could be something related to stability.
And +1 to TerryLAze , You should check the cables too.

larrycumming

Prominent
Aug 15, 2018
H55 is probably in the realm of SATA-2 days, but it still doesn't explain why it took 10 minutes to extract a small zip file.

X3440 does not have AES-NI, nor do other Lynnfield processors, so if you are dealing with AES encrypted zip files, it'll be slower.

Geekbench 4 is a pretty decent benchmark tool for checking out a processor/system's effectiveness. You can look up LZMA and AES performance against other cpu's in their database. The tool itself will give you a single/multicore score but you can check the individual benchmark stats.

evmundo

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2013

The motherboard is a revision with SATA 3 but I am going to reinstall windows 10 on an SSD and run geek-bench to compare the results see if that gives me any incite.

larrycumming

Prominent
Aug 15, 2018

Should still run like a champ, I had an H55 (sata2) with X3440 until not too long in the past. it was also overclocked to 4GHz just like yours. Played games on gtx 1060 just fine but the lack of AES-NI really shows in some applications. Since then I had moved to an X99 system for playing games and surfing the web

Yeah only do this if you are sure you won't mess up your current setup.
Keep in mind that if it's a mobo issue it will take ages for the installation to complete so it's a good idea to keep your current setup in working condition.

evmundo

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2013

It is the same. I just tried to unzip cinebench and the estimate was 6 minutes

larrycumming

Prominent
Aug 15, 2018
Are you using windows default unzip ?

Does using 7zip to unzip make it any faster?

When you unzip it’s scanned by windows defender the scanning process may make it slow. Disabling win defender should make it unzip at normal speeds

evmundo

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2013

I swapped out the HDD and it runs really well. I had not done this previously because the drive was quite new. Thanks for pointing me in the correct direction.