Cpu optimal temperatures

Noxy_93

Reputable
Sep 11, 2015
Hello everyone,

I recently bought the noctua nh-u12s CPU cooler for my i7-2600K. My idle temperatures are about 25-28 Celsius degrees and under heavy load it varies between 44-50 Celsius degrees (never goes above 50 Celsius). With my old stock CPU cooler it was running at 41 Celsius (idle) and 67-76 Celsius (max, heavy load). What I want to know is if that's a good temperature drop with this cooler and if the cpu supposed to run at these temps, because I read in some other articles and benchmarks that people have seen more temperature drop from noctua. (I.e a friend of mine uses amd fx 8320 with the same cooler and it's running max at 32 Celsius! Whats up with that?? Although his room temp is a lot lower than mine) Also my CPU is running at stock speed, no overclock or boost.
I used noctua nh-t1 thermalpaste.

Here are some of my specs (relative to this matter):
CASE: define r5 titanium with window
4x 140mm fans: 2 front intake and 2 exhaust (1 rear and 1 top)
Ambient temperature: 22 Celsius degrees.

Thanks in advance :)

Your friend can't accurately measure the temperature of his AMD CPU; he has to check the thermal margins with AOD and they can't be compared with your Intel CPU temperatures. Max 50°C with a CPU that throttles at 100°C is excellent.

Noxy_93

Reputable
Sep 11, 2015

Thanks for your reply,
Actually yeah I cant compare two different cpu brands. I was hopping it would be around the same temperatures. He uses HW, MSI afterburner and core temp to check his CPU temps, thats what I use too. Anyway I suppose there is a reason why Intel throttles at 100C.

It throttles at 100°C to protect itself should the cooler fail, be dislodged or not installed at all. Again your friend can't use any of the tools on your list since they are not accurate for his CPU. At idle his FX-8320 probably is reported as being as cool or cooler than the ambient temperature which is impossible.

You can use Intel XTU to check your CPU temperatures; your friend should use AMD Overdrive to check the thermal margins (the hotter the CPU, the lower they are). In other words, your CPU throttles at 100°C while his CPU throttles at 0°C thermal margins. There's no way you can directly compare them; if yours only reaches 50°C at full load, then his CPU's thermal margins would be 50°C (I doubt they are that high). If yours reached 70°C at full load, then an equivalent for his CPU would be 30°C thermal margins.

AreFlame

Reputable
Jul 21, 2015
You should be happy with that huge of a temperature drop, it is actually very impressive going from that high temps with stock cooler to the new one.
Also no cpu chips is expected to run the same, not even in temps. Ive seen ppl complain about high temps with stock cooler on for example an fx 8370 like me but i am getting a good amount lower temps than him because the chips arent 100% the same you know. Well they are the same but its like a silicon lottery, some people can overclock better than others cpus. I hope you got an understanding of what i tried to explain xD

Noxy_93

Reputable
Sep 11, 2015

Ok I looked into those two programs and are fairly easy to use and understand. Thanks again for the reply. I was just worried that CPU cooler didn't do a great job. Turns out it works just fine!

Noxy_93

Reputable
Sep 11, 2015
@AreFlame haha yeah I completely understand I'm not new to these things. Building PCs has become my hobby lately :p I was just trying to understand the differences between those temps. I know that I compared different CPUs but I was thinking it should be around the same degrees (give or take). Anyway until recently I learned that amd cpu temps are not measured accurate with those apps I use for my Intel. Also I'm glad to think this is huge drop in temps cause honestly I was it needed more. (I'm demanding :p)

The same thing goes with the gpu, even with the same brand and model, some can overclock higher than you. BTW we have the same GPU :)

Noxy_93

Reputable
Sep 11, 2015

Oh and yeah I do know why the CPU throttles. What I meant was there is a reason that Intel CPU throttles it self at 100C and not lower. It's because its supposed to run hotter. Kinda like gpus. I ve seen old GPUs throttling at 105C (if I'm not mistaken) and new models now can reach up to 95C before they throttle